The Basque Country is a land of Master Chefs, Irizar, Arzak, Subijana, Berasategui, Arguiñano, the published author and TV Chef of fame who has lived in NYC, DC, Switzerland and Buenos Aires and Andoni Luis to name a few ... Every October, the town of Balmaseda in Vizcaya holds its renowned red bean harvest gastronomic festival ... Local farmer Oscar Ortíz, the winner of the best recipe of 2000 was there to provide his neighbors with a hand and was kind enough to give me his recipe ...
PUTXERA ... SERVES 4 TO 6:
2 Kilos of alubias rojas
1.5 kilos of ham bones
1.5 kilos of salt pork
Olive oil, salt and pepper
1 large onion
1 green pepper
1 ripe red tomato
2 cloves minced garlic
1. soak beans overnight ( watch salt )
2. add 1 large onion, red tomato chopped, chopped green pep, 1 leek chopped in rings, 2 minced cloves garlic and simmer on low to medium flame stove top.
3. Add the pork meats ( except sausages ) when beans are half cooked.
4. Cook 5 blood sausages ( morcilla ) and 5 Italian or Spanish sausages apart from beans.
5. as beans become tender, adjust salt, and add the blk pep and take out the hocks
6. at the end of the cooking time, put in the sausages and blood sausages, and cook 5 to 10 mins. more
7. Serve with baguette and RIOJA ALAVESA, D.O. ÁLAVA RED WINE CALLED Ysios Crianza ...
On a cold blistery day, this is tummy warming ...