Here are my 21 Spanish best reds for the season ... Would enjoy hearing from those who live in other wine producing appellations with their selections ...
1) Emilio Moro Tinto ... 100% Tempranillo - Ribera del Duero, Valladolid
2) Prado Rey Tinto ... 100% Tempranillo - Ribera del Duero
3) Marqués de Cáceres ... Tinto Crianza ... La Rioja
4) Montecillo Crianza 100 % Tempranillo ... La Rioja
5) Gonzalo de Berceo Bodegas, La Rioja
6) Arzuaga Crianza - Ribera del Duero
7) Bodega Vega Sicilia Único - Ribera del Duero ( this is heaven on earth ... )
8) Bodegas Dosmauros - Designation: Toro, Zamora, Castilla León ( The enologist Mariano García created Vega Sicilia and since he has moved on to his own wine estate with his son Eduardo who also has an estate ... Highly suggested for red wine lovers. )
9) Bodegas Pesquera - Ribera del Duero ( Alejandro Férnandez is an old time well respected winemaker and has uncountable awards ) .
10) Marqués Murrieta y Igay - La Rioja
( Vincente Cebrián has creating La Rioja reds since he was a boy at his then, family wine estate ). His " Dalmu ", a Cabernet blend is superb ... He is also the owner of an Albariño white wine estate in Rias Baixas, Galicia.
11) Cosme Palacio Tinto - Bodega Palacio, La Rioja Crianza
12) Herencia Remondo tinto from Bodegas Palacios Remondo - La Rioja
13) Lan Tinto Crianza or Reserva - La Rioja ( stunning wine )
14) Gran Sangre de Toro ... Miguel Torres Bodegas - Penedés - Catalonia
*** this is a standard very good wine and is recommended on airlines worldwide ... Not the best, however, very good and at a good price.
15) Protos Reserva or Crianza - Ribera del Duero
16) Bodegas Domeq - Ysios Reserva Tinto - La Rioja Álavesa, Pais Vasco
100 % Tempranillo Grape Variety ( noble nosed and full bodied, drinks well with roasts )
17) Ramón Bilbao Bodegas - La Rioja
18) Bodegas Muruve - D.O. Toro - Zamora, Crianza
19) Bodega Muga ( 1932 ) - La Rioja Prado Enea ... exemplary ...
20) Abadia Retuerta - Castilla León ( several crianzas and Reservas available )
21) Marques de Riscal - El Ciego, Álava Reserva Tinto
Let´s hear from red wine drinkers in other wine designations,