This simply simple recipe was given to me by a chef named Gaetano Billeggi in Palermo, Sicilia ... Remember, too much detracts from the fresh squid ... just keep it simply simple ...
Serves 4 ...
1 pound spinach chopped finely
2 dozen fresh squid
3 garlic cloves minced
chopped finely parsley fresh
bread crumbs 3 or 4 tablsps
extra virgin olive oil
salt and pepper to taste
1) rinse the squid and clean, remove skin and drain & dry
2) peel garlic and mince
3) chop parsley finely after rinsing and patting dry with paper towelling
4) wash spinach several times before chopping finely to remove sand particles
5) in sauté pan, heat 4 tblsps olive oil and add the garlic. Sauté 2 minutes.
6) add spinach to the sauté pan with a pinch of parsley minced and pepper & salt.
7) Cook on low heat.
8) You could add pinenuts and golden raisins if u wish a sweet note.
9) then, mix bread crumbs and remaining garlic and parsley and sprinkle over the spinach
10) place 1/2 tsp of this spinach mixture in each squid, however, do not pack tight
11) use toothpick to close
12) bake in oven at 400 degrees F for 20 mins. in a preheated oven
Serve with Prosecco white wine from Sicilia ( originally hailing from Veneto, this Prosecco is produced on a tiny scale locally and warm baguette ... Drizzle with a bit of olive oil and a sprinkle of salt if needed
Edited by margcata - 11/5/11 at 10:24am