Have thoroughly enjoyed reading through the forum and appreciate the valuable advice. For a salad bar concept I am working on, I need to prepare reasonably large amounts of washed and cut romaine and iceberg lettuce in advance for use throughout the day.
Could anyone advise me whether the following procedures are suitable and how long will the cut lettuce last:
1. Core and rinse lettuce leaves in colander using cold water.
2. Spin dry in salad spinner.
3. Cut into bite sized pieces.
4. Refrigerate in sealed, large plastic cambro type containers with damp paper towel over top.
5. Transfer to smaller containers for use on the line throughout the day.
Some people have mentioned using a few tablespoons of salt when washing to kill bugs, is the necessary?
Any other advice or tips would be appreciated!