This recipe hails from the Currier and Ives region of Bucks County, Pennsylvania ... The Golden Pheasant Inn created this seasonal dish with freshly hunted pheasant.
For 4 ...
5 tblsps olive oil
4 Cornish hens or pheasants
20 shallots quartered
6 cored and peeled and quartered medium Granny Smith apples
3 cups chicken stock or broth
1 cup of Calvados French apple brandy ( or another brand )
1 cup heavy cream for sauce
1/4 cup apple juice of choice
1/2 tsp. cornstarch
a pinch of cayenne
1) preheat oven to 375 degrees farenheit
2) heat large skillet over high heat
3) sprinkle hens or birds with salt and freshly ground blk pepper
4) add to skillet and cook until golden for 5 mins. per side
5) transfer hens to a heavy baking sheet
6) add shallots to same skillet
7) using slotted spoon, transfer shallots to baking sheet and arrange around the birds
8) add remaining 1 tblsp olive oil to skillet
9) add apples and sauté over high heat - 5 mins.
10) transfer apples to baking sheet and arrange around birds
11) transfer baking sheet to oven and roast hens 40 mins
12) Meanwhile add stock, scarpe brown bits and add brandy to skillet and bring to boil
and reduce to 1 3/4 cups and stir occasionally and set sauce aside in 15 mins.
13) transfer hens and trimmings to large platter
14)pour pan juices from baking sheet into broth and add the brandy and the cream, stirring until smooth and add pinch cayenne
15) simmer and reduce sauce 8 mins and serve in sauce boat ...
*** a red wine such as Pinot Noir, lovely here ...
Edited by margcata - 12/1/11 at 2:42am