From Zürich, Switzerland ( until 18th ) ...
My daughters Naia and Nathalia have once again asked me, their yearly ritual, to make Grandmom Margherite´s Bolognese Sauce with her Lasagna ... Of course, my passion for Pasta has never ceased and my lucky paternal genetics, I have always been quite slim. The aromas of this dish, are unforgettable as was Margherite. This is a lovely dish to have during the holiday for lunch and the leftovers are even better ...
However, please note: This recipe has been revamped and one can either bake it with both piquant spicy or sweet Turkey Sausage or Pork Sausage.
*** Bolognese Meat Sauce ...
1/2 tsp. extra virgin olive oil
a pinch of sugar
4 ounces of Sausage with casings removed ( I use 2 ounces Spicy Piquant Turkey Sausages and 2 ounces Sweet Turkey sausages as the grandchildren and my 2 daughters do not eat red meat. )
2 onions, finely chopped
3/4 pound mushrooms chopped
3 cloves of garlic minced
salt and ground black pepper to taste
1/4 cup Italian dry red wine ( I use Barolo )
Two 28 ounce tins or cans of Plum Tomatoes drained and chopped
1/2 cup sun dried tomatoes slivered ( try to purchase those not packed in olive oil )
1 tsp dry oregano
1 tsp dry basil
1 tsp dry thyme
1/4 tsp crushed red pepper flakes or to taste
*** Pasta and Cheese Filling ...
12 curly edged lasagna sheets ( 12 ounces )
2 cups Ricotta cheese ( can use low fat if you wish )
ground nutmeg to taste
1 cup grated mozzarella Bufala cheese
1 / 2 Cup Fiore sardo or Reggiano Parmesano or Lucatelli Romano Cheese
ground nutmeg to taste
2 tblsps chopped fresh parsley
To make meat sauce ...
1) in a large heavy pot or Dutch oven, heat oil over medium high heat. Add the sausages and cook, breaking up clumps with spoon until browned 3 to 5 mins.
2) add chopped onions, and stir for 2 - 3 mins. Then add the mushrooms and and cook until liquid evaporates 6 mins. ( one can substitute zucchini or aubergine or both )
3) stir in red wine and plum tomatoes , crushed red pepper and dried herbs and bring to simmer. Lower heat stirring occasionally and cook covered 45 mins.
4) Uncover and stir until sauce is very thick - 30 minutes to 35 minutes more. Adjust seasoning and add pinch of sugar.
To make Filling and Assemble Lasagna ...
1) Preheat oven to 350 degrees farenheit.
2) bring a large pot of salted water to a boil.
3) Lightly olive oil a 9 by 13 inch baking dish.
4) cook the lasagna sheets in boiling salted water for about 10 to 12 minutes. Drain and cool by plunging the lasagna sheets into a large bowl of ice water.
5) Lay the lasagna sheets on paper towels.
6) season ricotta with salt and pepper
7) spread about 1 1/2 cups of tomato sausage saucein prepared baking pan
8) layer the bottom with 3 lasagna sheets
9) spread another cup of sauce on top of the 3 lasagna sheets
10) dot about 2/3 cup of ricotta over the lasagna sheets
11) then sprinkle with 1/4 cup bufala mozzarella and 2 tsps parmesano
12) then repeat the layering process until all the sheets have been placed in the baking pan
13) then sprinkle final layer with the fresh parsley
14) bake covered with alumn. foil for 40 minutes until bubbling
15) uncover and bake 10 mins more until golden ...
16) let cool for 10 mins before slicing ...
17) Serve with a good Italian wine of choice: I would go with a Barolo or Chianti or 100% Sangiovese ...
18) Oven warm Italian style bread surely for dipping with the Bolognese
19) a arugula salad for digestion afterwards and a Digestive like Grappa and an Espresso ...
Edited by margcata - 12/9/11 at 6:13am