Firstly, Tiramisu translates to " Pick Me Up " in English and this Marsala and Mascarpone flavoured cream spiked with Espresso and Rum is often taken with an afternoon Espresso or Cappuchino or Liquor in Milano, Lombardia ( Lombardy ) where it hails from in northwestern Italia. It is also a dessert for festive occasions.
This version as promised to send was my paternal Grandmom Margherite´s who was born and raised in Milano before she headed with my dad, his twin brother and a younger brother to Manhattan in 1921. Additionally, Margherite prepared her Tiramisu with sponge cake in the heart of Little Italy, N.Y.C. for over 50 years.
One can substitute Lady Fingers, however, her aromatically heaven to die for recipe is as follows ...
6 egg yolks
6 tblsps sugar
6 tblsps dry Marsala Wine
1 pound Mascarpone room temperature
1/2 cup chilled cream for whipping
1/3 cup freshly brewed Espresso
2 tblsps sugar
1/4 cup Dark Aged Rum
3 tblsps of Sugar
1 tsp Vanilla
One 12 x 6 x 1 inch Layer Sponge Cake cut into eight 3 inch squares or One 9 Inch round Sponge Cake cut into 8 wedges
3 tblsps shaved bittersweet Chocolate
3 tblsps finely ground Espresso Coffee Beans
1) whisk yolks, 6 tblsps sugar and Marsala wine in large metal bowl to blend
2) set bowl over saucepan of simmering water
3) using electric mixer of choice, beat until mixture triples in volume - 5 minutes approx
4) cover this Zabaglione mixture and refrigerate until well chilled
5) place the Mascarpone into another large bowl and using electric mixer, whip the cream with 2 tblsps of sugard to soft peaks
6) fold in the mascarpone
7) gently fold in the Zabaglione mixture and refrig for 1 hour or until well chilled
8) combine the espresso coffee, Dark aged Rum, 3 tblsps of sugar and the vanilla in a medium bowl
9) brush this mixture over the sides of the sponge cake and / or Lady Fingers
10) place a generous tblsp of Mascapone mixture in botton of each of the 8 Balloon Shaped Wine Glasses or huge Martini glasses
11) set cake pieces or Lady fingers square or wedge into each angle of the stemware
12) top with remaining mascarpone mixture
13) Combine shaved chocolate and ground coffee beans
14) sprinkle over the sponge
15) refrigerate 3 hours
Bon Apetito. Margcata.