or Connect
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Food & Equipment Reviews › Cooking Equipment Reviews › Should I throw out a sponge I used to clean a wooden cutting board which had raw chiken on it?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Should I throw out a sponge I used to clean a wooden cutting board which had raw chiken on it?

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 

I just bought a new cleaning kitchen sponge. And then I made chili and cut some chicken on a wooden cutting board. As I was cleaning it with the sponge I thought is it safe to then use the sponge to clean something else or does it spread bacteria? Do I need to throw out that sponge now?

 

Logan

post #2 of 6

Wash it good with dish soap.  Rinse well and sanitize in bleach solution or other sanitizer.

 

post #3 of 6

Then throw it in the microwave for a minute or so on full power.
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by davehriver View Post

Wash it good with dish soap.  Rinse well and sanitize in bleach solution or other sanitizer.

 



 

Chef,
Specialties: MasterCook/RecipeFox; Culinary logistics; Personal Chef; Small restaurant owner; Caterer
Reply
Chef,
Specialties: MasterCook/RecipeFox; Culinary logistics; Personal Chef; Small restaurant owner; Caterer
Reply
post #4 of 6
Sponges are very convenient to use but I would never own one for this very reason. You can never be positive that it won't spread germs or that you have gotten it "clean".

Consider a terry cloth bar rag that can be machine washable. The cost is minimal at most restaurant supply stores and they are much easier to clean.

Although the other ways mentioned will probably work to clean a sponge, I would not subject my customers or my family to the dangers of what could happen if I did not clean the sponge properly. Just my opinion.
post #5 of 6
Wash the sponge and nuke it like they said. If you really don't like germs, stay away from sponges. They take a long time to dry out and can become contaminated again during that time. Its nothing that I really worry about though. Especially since the next time I use it, there will be more soap inside. But like I said, of germs really aren't your thing, stay away.

Also gotta mention, I would be more concerned about your wooden cutting board soaking in some of the bacteria from the chicken. Is probably okay if you sanitized it right away, but there is still sombre risk.
A person who never made a mistake, never tried anything new.  - Al E
Guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days.  - Ben Franklin
Reply
A person who never made a mistake, never tried anything new.  - Al E
Guests, like fish, begin to smell after three days.  - Ben Franklin
Reply
post #6 of 6

Sponges can go in washer. Microwave them as Hi heat kills most bacteria but not all, but will kill salmonella from chix. Wash board with with detergent then  rinse with 5 parts per m clorox solution with a paper towl., then let airdry only. If by the time you use board and there is some residue from clorox left it wont hurt you or the food. You swim in a chloronated swimming pool don't you? 

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cooking Equipment Reviews
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Food & Equipment Reviews › Cooking Equipment Reviews › Should I throw out a sponge I used to clean a wooden cutting board which had raw chiken on it?