I have a bran muffin recipe that our family grew up on. A few years ago, one of the original ingredients was discontinued in the US so the mission started to find a proper substitute...
I have come up with a substitute that tastes almost exactly the same. The only problem now is that the new version ends up a lot more crumbly.
Does anyone have any tips on how to make it less crumbly?
Here is the recipe...
Refrigerator Bran Muffins
- 1 1/2 cup boiling water
- 1/2 cup prune juice
- 2 cup Grape Nuts Bran cereal
- 4 cup Kellogg’s All Bran cereal
- 3 cup sugar
- 1 cup shortening
- 4 eggs (well beaten)
- 1 qt butter milk
- 1 tsp salt
- 5 tsp baking soda
- 5 cup flour
- Mix boiling water, prune juice and Grape Nuts together and let cool.
- Add eggs and butter milk and mix well.
- Add all remaining ingredients.
- Bake at 350° for 20 minutes.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!