I'm trying to get a cake hobby hopefully turn business off the ground. I have tinkered with several celebrity cooks recipes and what I get is a dry cornbread like cake. I have mastered the moist chocolate cake, but have yet to master a nice, moist yet dense vanilla or yellow cake that tastes great. Can someone please help me. Thanks
Related Forum Threads
- How to properly glaze a frosted cake. Last post on 6/4/14 at 7:15pm in Pastries & Baking
- Basic Yellow Cake Last post on 4/19/12 at 8:28am in Pastries & Baking
- flourless cake scraps Last post on 3/30/11 at 6:04pm in Food & Cooking
- Yellow Cake Recipe Last post on 8/13/10 at 9:43am in Recipes
- cheese cake Last post on 2/10/10 at 2:56pm in Food & Cooking
The Perfect Yellow Cake Recipe And Techniques
Last edited: 9/26/11
So far im loving this school this is just my first semester so i can't judge to much but coming from my last school henry ford community college schoolcraft community college is so much better the...
The Chefs at The Chef's Academy in Indianapolis, In. Were amazing and knowledgeable. They showed interest with your creativity and looked forward to beating you with their hats when you did some...
I picked up one of these on sale with the intention of storing until Christmas. But that's a ways off, and I needed to verify it worked in case I needed to return it with in the warranty...
I've been looking for recipes and ideas I can ship off with my daughter to college and this book had a good variant idea on the one-pot meal. But the writing is chatty and cutesy. This doesn't...
Please help! Need Vanilla and yellow cake recipe.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
try this one..
this thread is LONG!!!
the cake is the best!!!
I love that cake but if you want a cake to decorate and sell, that one might be too tender. That's a wonderful quality, but slicing it at a party or wedding is messy, it crumbles.
I suggest getting a copy of the cake bible by Rose Beranbaum, it has the more sturdy sorts of cakes that are nevertheless extremely moist but hold up and slice better for that sort of thing. One of my favorites is "white chocolate whisper cake" which though it contains white chocolate, does not taste anything of chocolate, (well, white "chocolate" is all of the chocolate without the cocoa), but the white chocolate gives a wonderful creamy texture and it tastes of vanilla. She also gives elaborate instructions on wedding cakes, their construction and decoration, and it allowed me to make my first 6 layer 3 tier wedding cake without a glitch - declared by the guests to be the best cake they ever ate. It's all in the recipe. There are also ways of increasing a recipe to make larger cakes, adaptations you have to make to make a wider diameter cake that won't fall.
This is a really good question. Whether you are a professional or a home cook you will need to know how to adjust the density of the cake to accommodate your favorite filling.
There are several ways to make you fluffy cake recipe more dense, such as:
1. Increase the amount of fat. This could be done by substituting liquid ingredients such as water with yogurt or buttermilk. My personal favorite is adding nut powder such as almond to the recipe to increase density.
2. Substitute whole eggs for egg whites
3. Use liquid sweetener instead of sugar, such as honey, corn syrup, agave.
Here are some of the examples of cakes with higher density: Pound Cakes, Fruit Cakes, Financier, Medovik (Russian and pretty interesting), Loaf Cakes.
Let me know if you need a particular recipe.
I hope it helps.
- Please help! Need Vanilla and yellow cake recipe.
- › Surprise! I am hoping for help choosing new knives :) 22 minutes ago
- › Failing Practical exam for CC twice 1 hour, 33 minutes ago
- › Nakiri vs Kiritsuke $200 or less 8 hours, 56 minutes ago
- › How To Make An Amazing Tuna Fish Sandwich? 9 hours, 40 minutes ago
- › Does anyone use a meal delivery service? Plated, Hello Fresh, Blue... 10 hours ago
- › turkey 12 hours, 29 minutes ago
- › Introduction and Need for Help! 12 hours, 52 minutes ago
- › Another Chef's knife question :) 13 hours, 15 minutes ago
- › Menu / Product Question 15 hours, 46 minutes ago
- › slow cooker vs oven braise vs pressure cooker 15 hours, 48 minutes ago
- › Kitchen Utensils and Gadgets 17 piece Silicone and Stainless Steel... by rose1
- › Schoolcraft College Culinary Arts Program by chefpeaches
- › Chef Academy by TheCookSaigium
- › Anova WiFi Sous Vide Precision Cooker, Black by phatch
- › Sheet Pan Suppers: 120 Recipes for Simple, Surprising, Hands-Off... by phatch
- › Iwatani Gas Cassette Burner Stove by eastshores
- › Italian Chef Academy - Rome by tessy
- › Wine Bottle Cooler Stick - 3-in-1 Stainless Steel Wine Chiller... by majorc
- › Meat Thermometer - Instant Read LCD Screen Auto Shut-Off with Long... by majorc
- › Le Cordon Bleu USA by freshbaked