I'm trying to get a cake hobby hopefully turn business off the ground. I have tinkered with several celebrity cooks recipes and what I get is a dry cornbread like cake. I have mastered the moist chocolate cake, but have yet to master a nice, moist yet dense vanilla or yellow cake that tastes great. Can someone please help me. Thanks
Related Forum Threads
- How to properly glaze a frosted cake. Last post on 6/4/14 at 7:15pm in Pastries & Baking
- Basic Yellow Cake Last post on 4/19/12 at 8:28am in Pastries & Baking
- flourless cake scraps Last post on 3/30/11 at 6:04pm in Food & Cooking
- Yellow Cake Recipe Last post on 8/13/10 at 9:43am in Recipes
- cheese cake Last post on 2/10/10 at 2:56pm in Food & Cooking
The Perfect Yellow Cake Recipe And Techniques
Last edited: 9/26/11
I graduated in '95 and went back this past Thanksgiving w my 9yo daughter. We eat at the French restaurant, Escoffier. It was great! You get what you pay for. The problem is that many of the...
I attended the professional chef course chef at Italian Chef Academy in Rome chef academy course in January 2017 and both chefs and cooking lessons were fantastic. I have just finished my...
A very good way to get into Japanese blades since very good bang for the buck. Familiar blade and handle shape. Very good steel, comes with and keeps a good sharp edge ... but if you need to touch...
I picked up the Miyabi 8" chef's (600D) as an upgrade to my Henckels when I found it on sale and was not disappointed. Feels a bit lighter and more agile in the hand compared to the Germans since...
Wüsthof is one of the "big name" Germans for a reason, over 200 years. Their professional tier lines are all solid, and the choice may end up being just personal taste over the exact look/material...
Please help! Need Vanilla and yellow cake recipe.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
try this one..
this thread is LONG!!!
the cake is the best!!!
I love that cake but if you want a cake to decorate and sell, that one might be too tender. That's a wonderful quality, but slicing it at a party or wedding is messy, it crumbles.
I suggest getting a copy of the cake bible by Rose Beranbaum, it has the more sturdy sorts of cakes that are nevertheless extremely moist but hold up and slice better for that sort of thing. One of my favorites is "white chocolate whisper cake" which though it contains white chocolate, does not taste anything of chocolate, (well, white "chocolate" is all of the chocolate without the cocoa), but the white chocolate gives a wonderful creamy texture and it tastes of vanilla. She also gives elaborate instructions on wedding cakes, their construction and decoration, and it allowed me to make my first 6 layer 3 tier wedding cake without a glitch - declared by the guests to be the best cake they ever ate. It's all in the recipe. There are also ways of increasing a recipe to make larger cakes, adaptations you have to make to make a wider diameter cake that won't fall.
This is a really good question. Whether you are a professional or a home cook you will need to know how to adjust the density of the cake to accommodate your favorite filling.
There are several ways to make you fluffy cake recipe more dense, such as:
1. Increase the amount of fat. This could be done by substituting liquid ingredients such as water with yogurt or buttermilk. My personal favorite is adding nut powder such as almond to the recipe to increase density.
2. Substitute whole eggs for egg whites
3. Use liquid sweetener instead of sugar, such as honey, corn syrup, agave.
Here are some of the examples of cakes with higher density: Pound Cakes, Fruit Cakes, Financier, Medovik (Russian and pretty interesting), Loaf Cakes.
Let me know if you need a particular recipe.
I hope it helps.
- Please help! Need Vanilla and yellow cake recipe.
- › Ideas for sauce. 1 minute ago
- › Sheppards Pie 2 minutes ago
- › Whats the perfect way to poach an egg ? 37 minutes ago
- › soft tortilla woes-tooooooo many crackers instead 1 hour, 43 minutes ago
- › March 2017 Cooking Challenge--Party Food! 2 hours, 14 minutes ago
- › Become A Member of The Novis / Lekue Demonstration Team! 2 hours, 18 minutes ago
- › I'm fired...I think? 3 hours, 52 minutes ago
- › Kamikoto knives 4 hours, 17 minutes ago
- › Topping for a flourless chocolate cake 5 hours, 34 minutes ago
- › Le Repertoire de La Cuisine 5 hours, 43 minutes ago
- › Culinary Institute of America - Hyde Park by hchaz
- › Italian Chef Academy - Rome by jordanfood
- › Tojiro-DP Chef's Knife 9.4" (24cm) by captainbligh
- › Miyabi Morimoto Edition 8-Inch Chef Knife by captainbligh
- › Wsthof Grand Prix II 8-Inch Cook's Knife by captainbligh
- › Global 8-Inch 20cm Cook's Knife by NikoBleau
- › John Boos Newton Prep Master Maple Wood Reversible Cutting Board... by ChrisLehrer
- › The Art of French Pastry by Jacquy Pfeiffer by OCDshaver
- › Norton 614636855653 IB8 1-by-2-by-8-Inch Fine/Coarse India... by Scott Livesey
- › The Board Smith Maple 2″x12″x18″ by tobe999
- › An Oven Roasted Suckling Pig
- › Some Myths About Beef and Cattle
- › Food Safety As Kitchen Culture
- › Cranberry/Orange Parfait with Chocolate Sauce...
- › Vegan Cuisine - It's Not Just Bean Curd...
- › Stuffed Potato Appetizers
- › Caramel Filled Apple Dumplings
- › Chorizo Empanadas with Avocado Cream
- › Crabcake Benedicts with Bacon Hollandaise
- › A "No Turkey" Thanksgiving-Roast Pork