I'm trying to get a cake hobby hopefully turn business off the ground. I have tinkered with several celebrity cooks recipes and what I get is a dry cornbread like cake. I have mastered the moist chocolate cake, but have yet to master a nice, moist yet dense vanilla or yellow cake that tastes great. Can someone please help me. Thanks
Related Forum Threads
- How to properly glaze a frosted cake. Last post on 6/4/14 at 7:15pm in Pastries & Baking
- Basic Yellow Cake Last post on 4/19/12 at 8:28am in Pastries & Baking
- flourless cake scraps Last post on 3/30/11 at 6:04pm in Food & Cooking
- Yellow Cake Recipe Last post on 8/13/10 at 9:43am in Recipes
- cheese cake Last post on 2/10/10 at 2:56pm in Food & Cooking
The Perfect Yellow Cake Recipe And Techniques
Last edited: 9/26/11
I'm heading into my 4th summer with this factory refurbished machine. It has been reliable and does the job it is intended to do very well, though a bit loudly. I use it heavily during the summer...
Overall, since purchasing this knife, I have not been disappointed at all. The highlights, begin with the rounded hilt and blade top, which reduce the stress on the palms and make calluses a...
I've owned this tenderizer for about a year and a half. Alton Brown talked about the joys of a 48-blade cutter for turning cheap, tough pieces of beef into actually cubed meat -- meat that's...
Alton Brown talked about the joys of a 48-blade cutter like this for turning cheap, tough pieces of beef into actually cubed meat -- meat that's perforated to make it tender. So I bought one with...
I have four Microplanes in my knife drawer: two zester/graters, one ribbon grater, and one spice grater. Mine all date back to the "classic series," meaning they have the black plastic handle --...
Please help! Need Vanilla and yellow cake recipe.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
try this one..
this thread is LONG!!!
the cake is the best!!!
I love that cake but if you want a cake to decorate and sell, that one might be too tender. That's a wonderful quality, but slicing it at a party or wedding is messy, it crumbles.
I suggest getting a copy of the cake bible by Rose Beranbaum, it has the more sturdy sorts of cakes that are nevertheless extremely moist but hold up and slice better for that sort of thing. One of my favorites is "white chocolate whisper cake" which though it contains white chocolate, does not taste anything of chocolate, (well, white "chocolate" is all of the chocolate without the cocoa), but the white chocolate gives a wonderful creamy texture and it tastes of vanilla. She also gives elaborate instructions on wedding cakes, their construction and decoration, and it allowed me to make my first 6 layer 3 tier wedding cake without a glitch - declared by the guests to be the best cake they ever ate. It's all in the recipe. There are also ways of increasing a recipe to make larger cakes, adaptations you have to make to make a wider diameter cake that won't fall.
This is a really good question. Whether you are a professional or a home cook you will need to know how to adjust the density of the cake to accommodate your favorite filling.
There are several ways to make you fluffy cake recipe more dense, such as:
1. Increase the amount of fat. This could be done by substituting liquid ingredients such as water with yogurt or buttermilk. My personal favorite is adding nut powder such as almond to the recipe to increase density.
2. Substitute whole eggs for egg whites
3. Use liquid sweetener instead of sugar, such as honey, corn syrup, agave.
Here are some of the examples of cakes with higher density: Pound Cakes, Fruit Cakes, Financier, Medovik (Russian and pretty interesting), Loaf Cakes.
Let me know if you need a particular recipe.
I hope it helps.
- Please help! Need Vanilla and yellow cake recipe.
- › sweating like you're an athlete! 24 minutes ago
- › Dare I Ask This Out Loud? Sweat... 26 minutes ago
- › Sweating 29 minutes ago
- › Dalstrong phantom 1 hour, 9 minutes ago
- › New Kikuichi Carw 1 hour, 22 minutes ago
- › What did you have for dinner? 1 hour, 41 minutes ago
- › May 2017 Cooking Challenge: Fish! 1 hour, 42 minutes ago
- › Quick survey about food distributors 2 hours, 23 minutes ago
- › New Job, New kitchen 2 hours, 45 minutes ago
- › Pastry Dough Shrinking After Cutting Using Reversible Sheeter.... 3 hours, 11 minutes ago
- › Cuisinart ICE-30BC Pure Indulgence 2-Quart Automatic Frozen Yogurt,... by ChicagoTerry
- › Friedr. Dick 1905 Exclusive Series 10-Inch Chef's Knife by JVKolich
- › Jaccard Supertendermatic 48-Blade Tenderizer by HeidiCooksSuppe
- › Loen 48-blade Meat Tenderizer Meat Neddle (White) by HeidiCooksSuppe
- › Microplane 46220 Premium Zester/Grater, Turquoise by HeidiCooksSuppe
- › Culinary Institute of America - Hyde Park by hchaz
- › Italian Chef Academy - Rome by jordanfood
- › Tojiro-DP Chef's Knife 9.4" (24cm) by captainbligh
- › Miyabi Morimoto Edition 8-Inch Chef Knife by captainbligh
- › Wsthof Grand Prix II 8-Inch Cook's Knife by captainbligh
- › Roasted Chinese Pork Belly
- › An Oven Roasted Suckling Pig
- › Some Myths About Beef and Cattle
- › Food Safety As Kitchen Culture
- › Cranberry/Orange Parfait with Chocolate Sauce...
- › Vegan Cuisine - It's Not Just Bean Curd...
- › Stuffed Potato Appetizers
- › Caramel Filled Apple Dumplings
- › Chorizo Empanadas with Avocado Cream
- › Crabcake Benedicts with Bacon Hollandaise