I'm trying to get a cake hobby hopefully turn business off the ground. I have tinkered with several celebrity cooks recipes and what I get is a dry cornbread like cake. I have mastered the moist chocolate cake, but have yet to master a nice, moist yet dense vanilla or yellow cake that tastes great. Can someone please help me. Thanks
Related Forum Threads
- How to properly glaze a frosted cake. Last post on 6/4/14 at 7:15pm in Pastries & Baking
- Basic Yellow Cake Last post on 4/19/12 at 8:28am in Pastries & Baking
- flourless cake scraps Last post on 3/30/11 at 6:04pm in Food & Cooking
- Yellow Cake Recipe Last post on 8/13/10 at 9:43am in Recipes
- cheese cake Last post on 2/10/10 at 2:56pm in Food & Cooking
The Perfect Yellow Cake Recipe And Techniques
Last edited: 9/26/11
A basic oil stone for knife maintenance. I use the coarse side for setting initial bevels and repairing blade damage. The coarse side is P150 and is grey I use the fine side to finish the edge....
It was a delight ordering my board from John. he was very helpful discussing the pros and cons of adding feet (I did and I like them.) He was friendly and helpful to all my enquiries, then made...
I graduated from OCC several years ago, but I still recommend it to my employees and any young aspiring cooks that I meet. It is a community college, so you won't leave this place drowning in debt....
A little bit about me: I grew up in the Hudson Valley about 30 min. away from the CIA. I knew I wanted to go to culinary school since I was in 10th grade and started cooking for my family...
Please help! Need Vanilla and yellow cake recipe.
Gear mentioned in this thread:
try this one..
this thread is LONG!!!
the cake is the best!!!
I love that cake but if you want a cake to decorate and sell, that one might be too tender. That's a wonderful quality, but slicing it at a party or wedding is messy, it crumbles.
I suggest getting a copy of the cake bible by Rose Beranbaum, it has the more sturdy sorts of cakes that are nevertheless extremely moist but hold up and slice better for that sort of thing. One of my favorites is "white chocolate whisper cake" which though it contains white chocolate, does not taste anything of chocolate, (well, white "chocolate" is all of the chocolate without the cocoa), but the white chocolate gives a wonderful creamy texture and it tastes of vanilla. She also gives elaborate instructions on wedding cakes, their construction and decoration, and it allowed me to make my first 6 layer 3 tier wedding cake without a glitch - declared by the guests to be the best cake they ever ate. It's all in the recipe. There are also ways of increasing a recipe to make larger cakes, adaptations you have to make to make a wider diameter cake that won't fall.
This is a really good question. Whether you are a professional or a home cook you will need to know how to adjust the density of the cake to accommodate your favorite filling.
There are several ways to make you fluffy cake recipe more dense, such as:
1. Increase the amount of fat. This could be done by substituting liquid ingredients such as water with yogurt or buttermilk. My personal favorite is adding nut powder such as almond to the recipe to increase density.
2. Substitute whole eggs for egg whites
3. Use liquid sweetener instead of sugar, such as honey, corn syrup, agave.
Here are some of the examples of cakes with higher density: Pound Cakes, Fruit Cakes, Financier, Medovik (Russian and pretty interesting), Loaf Cakes.
Let me know if you need a particular recipe.
I hope it helps.
- Please help! Need Vanilla and yellow cake recipe.
- › Need help selecting a new knife 55 minutes ago
- › Hi I am looking for advice what professional chefs and cooks tools? 2 hours, 14 minutes ago
- › Things Never Said By A Head Chef 3 hours ago
- › Another plea for advice on knives 4 hours, 8 minutes ago
- › Looking for a knife, under $80 4 hours, 16 minutes ago
- › I have a question for someone French or a French chef 4 hours, 30 minutes ago
- › Lowest temp for chicken? 5 hours, 59 minutes ago
- › Another plea for knife reccomendation 7 hours, 17 minutes ago
- › What did you have for dinner? 7 hours, 56 minutes ago
- › Suisin western inox 210 8 hours, 56 minutes ago
- › Norton 614636855653 IB8 1-by-2-by-8-Inch Fine/Coarse India... by Scott Livesey
- › The Board Smith Maple 2″x12″x18″ by tobe999
- › Orange Coast College Culinary Arts by dumpling
- › Culinary Institute of America - Hyde Park by Mustardpot
- › Kitchen Utensils and Gadgets 17 piece Silicone and Stainless Steel... by rose1
- › Schoolcraft College Culinary Arts Program by chefpeaches
- › Chef Academy by TheCookSaigium
- › Anova WiFi Sous Vide Precision Cooker, Black by phatch
- › Sheet Pan Suppers: 120 Recipes for Simple, Surprising, Hands-Off... by phatch
- › Iwatani Gas Cassette Burner Stove by eastshores
- › Stuffed Potato Appetizers
- › Caramel Filled Apple Dumplings
- › Chorizo Empanadas with Avocado Cream
- › Crabcake Benedicts with Bacon Hollandaise
- › A "No Turkey" Thanksgiving-Roast Pork
- › Caramelized Cauliflower
- › Holiday Entertaining-Cocktails
- › Spinach and Arugula Salad with Grapefruit
- › Summer Vegetable Pasta
- › Apple Cranberry Leather