or Connect
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Bent Deba?

post #1 of 28
Thread Starter 

I'll post pics later but I was left a Deba by some folks who thought it was ruined and beyond any hope.

 

It was covered in red rust, quite dull and has about a 5-10 degree bend near the tip. Cleaned the rust and did a quick sharpening.

 

Overall length is 6" and from 1-2 inches back from the point the bend prevents the stone from contacting on the back side.

 

I don't want to risk trying to bend it and would rather not take it to the belt sander for that short section but can't see another way to reach into that bent area. I would rather do a proper waterstone job but it may end up a hybrid front side/waterstone, backside high grit belts due to the bend.

 

Thoughts?

 

Jim

 

 

post #2 of 28

pics?

post #3 of 28
Thread Starter 

I get home about 6:30 or so and will get some shots posted.

 

Will include the makers stamps from it.

 

 

Jim

post #4 of 28
Thread Starter 

Some pictures...

 

Notice the  mirror at the tip, the gap and the mirror to the left. That is the area the stone cannot touch.

 

Many German knives I would put on an anvil and give it a few whacks to straighten but I don't trust the hard japanese steel to not break.

 

2012-04-16_18-39-38_842.jpg

 

 

 

The marks from the maker.

 

2012-04-16_18-40-01_388.jpg

 

Another view of the bend.

 

2012-04-16_18-43-00_903.jpg

post #5 of 28

I know my FIL used to heat tool steels and irons with a torch to then whack on his anvil, but he did it entirely by feel, no science at all. He had a gift for fixing crap that ought to have ended up in the landfill. I suspect too much heat would affect the HT of the knife, though. Woodworking chisels aren't Japanese kitchen knives! :D

post #6 of 28

If that's your Deba could you show us your kiritsuke? Looks like it was rode hard and put away wet.

 

Dave

I think the most wonderful thing in the world is another chef. I'm always excited about learning new things about food.
Paul Prudhomme
Reply
I think the most wonderful thing in the world is another chef. I'm always excited about learning new things about food.
Paul Prudhomme
Reply
post #7 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by SameGuy View Post

I know my FIL used to heat tool steels and irons with a torch to then whack on his anvil, but he did it entirely by feel, no science at all. He had a gift for fixing crap that ought to have ended up in the landfill. I suspect too much heat would affect the HT of the knife, though. Woodworking chisels aren't Japanese kitchen knives! :D



dont do this.

 

The bend doesnt look that bad to be honest and that is sure not a deba.  Can you take a picture facing the front of the knife (as in looking from the tip towards the handle with the edge facing down)?  That will give a much better idea of the bend.

post #8 of 28
Thread Starter 

Long story short a young couple brought me their western knives to sharpen and they were telling me they had a ruined japanese knife.Told them that it takes a lot to truly "ruin" a blade and let me see it. It had been "rode hard and put away wet" many a time based on the condition.

 

They brought it last weekend and short of the corrosion, loose collar, and dullness, the bend is the only stickler. I am not going to heat and pound on this.

 

 

Here is a top view. I'll get an ambient light and front view shot tonight. Yes it does have batoning dents on the spine.

2012-04-16_18-38-41_380.jpg

post #9 of 28

that looks less like its bent and more like the tip was sharpened at a huge angle... should be totally fixable in sharpening to be honest.

 

If you'd like some help getting through it, i would be happy to guide you through the process a bit.  Any chance you're in LA?

post #10 of 28
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBroida View Post

that looks less like its bent and more like the tip was sharpened at a huge angle... should be totally fixable in sharpening to be honest.

 

If you'd like some help getting through it, i would be happy to guide you through the process a bit.  Any chance you're in LA?



Actually I'm in San Diego but do have the day free on Friday and could come up there.

 

Here is a pic trying to lay the edge flat..

 

2012-04-16_18-38-13_872.jpg

 

2012-04-16_18-39-15_77.jpg

post #11 of 28

yeah... if you have the time, i should be able to help you out with that a bit... i see the bend you're talking about now and it might be possible to fix that here

post #12 of 28

You should be able to fix it.  If you can't fix it with JB's help then it can't be fixed- he knows his stuff.  Very good of you, Jon.thumb.gif 

"Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle
Reply
"Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle
Reply
post #13 of 28

eh... i really love this stuff... cant help it sometimes ;)
 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post

You should be able to fix it.  If you can't fix it with JB's help then it can't be fixed- he knows his stuff.  Very good of you, Jon.thumb.gif 



 

post #14 of 28
Thread Starter 

I really appreciate it Jon. Depending the mood of the traffic gods I should be able to get up there by noon on Friday.

 

Love to talk shop and get some upgraded stones to supplant my King 220/1000 and 6000.

 

I can't help it either sometimes but I like challenging blades.

 

Jim
 

post #15 of 28

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnifeSavers View Post

I really appreciate it Jon. Depending the mood of the traffic gods I should be able to get up there by noon on Friday.

 

Love to talk shop and get some upgraded stones to supplant my King 220/1000 and 6000.

 

I can't help it either sometimes but I like challenging blades.

 

Jim
 

 

got you penciled in on my calendar... see you then

post #16 of 28

nice meeting you today... had fun fixing the knife among other things

post #17 of 28
Thread Starter 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBroida View Post

nice meeting you today... had fun fixing the knife among other things

 

It was very informative Jon I really learned quite a lot and appreciate the "test drives" of the various stones.

 

For those playing along at home here is the knife now that Jon worked it over.

 

2012-04-20_21-02-18_176.jpg

 

2012-04-20_21-02-31_657.jpg

post #18 of 28

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by KnifeSavers View Post

 

 

It was very informative Jon I really learned quite a lot and appreciate the "test drives" of the various stones.

 

For those playing along at home here is the knife now that Jon worked it over.

For those of us playing along...please do provide at least a few minimal details as to the direction taken to fix this issue...Thanks!

post #19 of 28

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinacats View Post

 

For those of us playing along...please do provide at least a few minimal details as to the direction taken to fix this issue...Thanks!

 

first i straightened the knife, then i thinned it a bit, then i sharpened it, and then i made it look pretty

 

straightening was done in the traditional japanese way

post #20 of 28

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBroida View Post

 

 

first i straightened the knife, then i thinned it a bit, then i sharpened it, and then i made it look pretty

 

straightening was done in the traditional japanese way

 


Thanks!  Can't argue with the 'making it look pretty' part...very nice.  Quite generous of you.

post #21 of 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by JBroida View Post

straightening was done in the traditional japanese way

Which is?

 

Chef,
Specialties: MasterCook/RecipeFox; Culinary logistics; Personal Chef; Small restaurant owner; Caterer
Reply
Chef,
Specialties: MasterCook/RecipeFox; Culinary logistics; Personal Chef; Small restaurant owner; Caterer
Reply
post #22 of 28

with a stick ;)

post #23 of 28

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBroida View Post

with a stick ;)

 

Beat it into submission?  "I'll straighten you out, you mo#&er fu@!ing knife!"

post #24 of 28

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mano View Post

 

 

Beat it into submission?  "I'll straighten you out, you mo#&er fu@!ing knife!"

 

not quite like that, but i find the idea inspiring... maybe i'll try that way next time

post #25 of 28
Thread Starter 

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBroida View Post

 

 

first i straightened the knife, then i thinned it a bit, then i sharpened it, and then i made it look pretty

 

straightening was done in the traditional japanese way

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by mano View Post

 

 

Beat it into submission?  "I'll straighten you out, you mo#&er fu@!ing knife!"
 

 

 

"not quite like that, but i find the idea inspiring... maybe i'll try that way next time"

 

 

Using traditional Japanese curses used by craftsman for hundred of years of course. wink.gif

 

Jim

 

 

post #26 of 28

Looking good!  Nice work, JB.  Glad to see that you not only fixed a knife but made a friend in the process.

"Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle
Reply
"Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle
Reply
post #27 of 28

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phaedrus View Post

Looking good!  Nice work, JB.  Glad to see that you not only fixed a knife but made a friend in the process.

 

bonding over knife dorkery

post #28 of 28

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by JBroida View Post

 

 

bonding over knife dorkery

 


Hahaha!  That would be a good sig line!biggrin.gif

"Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle
Reply
"Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cooking Knife Reviews