Braised Beef Cheeks (Joues de Boeuf CONFITES)
500g beef cheeks trimmed
2 cloves garlic, smashed
2 sprigs fresh thyme
300ml dry red wine
1 bay leaf
60g onions brunoise
60g celery brunoise
60g carrot brunoise
40g spec cut into 1cm dice and sautéed until crispy
3 eshallots pealed with root end attached.
1 tomato diced
1 whole clove
Pinch White Pepper
1 tsp raw sugar.
350ml beef stock
1tbsp unsalted butter
1 tbsp vegetable oil
Skip step one for the purposes of finishing this dish in one day.
- Put beef cheeks, garlic, thyme, wine, bay leaf, onion, celery, carrots and clove into a bowl; cover and refrigerate 1–2 days.
- Transfer beef cheeks to a plate, reserving marinade. Pat beef cheeks dry and season with salt and pepper. Melt butter add oil in a 5 ltr Dutch oven over medium-high heat. Working in batches, add beef cheeks and cook, turning, until browned, about 8 minutes. Transfer beef cheeks to a plate.
- Heat oven to 160c˚. Add reserved marinade to pot along with beef and chicken stock and boil for 5 minutes remove any scum. Nestle beef cheeks in liquid and cover them with a sheet of parchment paper cut to ﬁt the inside of the pot.
- Cover pot, transfer to oven, and cook, turning beef cheeks at the 1.5 hour mark add the eshallots , cook until tender, about 3-4 hours total.
- Using a slotted spoon, transfer beef cheeks and eshallots to a plate and cover with aluminum foil and place in a warm area. Skim fat from surface of the cooking liquid. Set a ﬁne strainer over a 1-2ltr. Saucepan and strain cooking liquid, discarding solids. Bring to a boil over high heat and reduce until liquid has thickened and coats the back of a spoon, about 5 minutes season if needed set aside.
100g instant polenta
500ml chicken stock
40g grated Parmesan cheese
Salt and pepper
- In a suitable pot bring milk, chicken stock and butter to a very gentle simmer.
- Rain in the polenta whilst whisking vigorously and turn down to simmer stir regularly with a wooden spoon for approximately 5 minutes.
- After 5 minutes, add cheese. Combine well.
- Season to taste and serve with Braised Beef cheeks, braised eshallots and reduced sauce.
- Garnish with parsley or chervils sprigs