I am very sorry for your cupcakes not turning out well ( I understand how it feels D: ) but everyone goes on a cupcake quest once in their life and finds a pretty recipe that they will use forever.
Good luck with completing your quest.
I am not sure if this will work with you but this is the best recipe I have ever used:
- 1 and 1/2 cups Cake flour (if you don't have any cake flour use 1 and a 1/2 cups plain flour and replace three tablespoons of it with three tablespoons of cornflour and sift well)
- 2 tsp Baking powder
- 1/4 fine salt
- 2 Egg whites + 1/8 tsp Cream of tartar (I do not have any cream of tartar available where I live so I use a 1/8 tsp of lemon juice)
- 3/4 cup White granulated sugar
- 6 tbps of butter
- 1/2 cup milk
- 2 tsp vanilla extract or any awesome extract you wish
1. Beat sugar and butter together for five minutes (the beating of the two pushes the sugar granules into the butter making small air bubbles which expand while baking making your cake light).
2. Add vanilla to give it a beautiful fragrance.
3. Sift the baking powder and cake flour together in a separate bowl.
4. Add the milk and flour+baking powder alternating so that you start and end with adding the flour mixture.
5. Whisk the egg whites with the cream of tartar and the salt until stiff peaks (but do not overbeat)
6. Add to the mix and fold in egg whites.
7. Fill cases around 3/4 full and bake at 160 - 180 degrees (I bake at 160 so that they cook slowly and they have time to rise)
8. They take around 17 minutes to bake and do not overbake.
I am very sorry to write so much and give you a recipe that might annoy you but I would love to help you as much as possible. This recipe is simpler than it looks and turns out with a smooth dome and the cupcake is pure white :D (as you can tell it is a white cupcake recipe) they taste amazing and I hope they take you a step further in completing your cupcake quest.