or Connect
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Professional Food Service › Professional Chefs › Any suggestions on how to gain NYC experience?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Any suggestions on how to gain NYC experience?

post #1 of 13
Thread Starter 

     Hi everyone. Last November I commited occupational suicide by moving from NY to Massachusetts. I lost my job at a Bed-Stuy bar in September, worked briefly for a couple of dodgy and questionable establishments, left those establishments then had a five alarm freak-out. That's when I moved to Boston-with the delusion of finding affordable housing and a job easily. That never happened. What's frustrating is that when I arrived in Boston I started getting emails and phone calls from NYC restaurants for interviews. Don't get me wrong; I absolutely love NYC. If I worked it out with my landlord (who was flexible and understanding) and I exercised a bit of patience I would definitely still be there.

     Anyways, I need to cut my losses here in Mass. and move back to NY. My only concern is a repeat of my last experience in NYC. Here was my NYC culinary experience: First time restaurant owners with NO culinary experience and a giant cocaine habit who are unable to commit to their financial obligations (vendors, employees etc.), management that are unable to retain their chefs and thereby transferring chef duties to cooks when the chef leaves (inventory, ordering etc.); and if a cook forgets or refuses the extra duties they are terminated; chefs that tell you at then end of your second shift that you are still trailing and he hasn't made any decisions yet. How do I avoid these establishments? What are the signs of an inexperienced owner/manager? I have been a line cook and prep cook since 1994 and my background is mostly bar/comfort food. I would like to upgrade to bistro style dining. I don't have NYC fine dining experience or formal training but have been told what I lack in technique, I make up for in work ethics. Besides when I trailed at Tribeca Grill last year the chef suggested I avoid fine dining establishments because they are either dead or dying. I'am willing to commit to even an entry-level position as long as it's a good, stable company that I can grow and advance within. Any advice would be greatly, greatly appreciated! Thank you.

post #2 of 13

What's wrong with Boston, the restaurant and industry in general here is great.

 

Where did, or do you work?

post #3 of 13

G O TO ANY RESTAURANT AGENCY IN NEW YORK SIGN UP. WITH THEM

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply
post #4 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelRJ View Post

What's wrong with Boston, the restaurant and industry in general here is great.

 

Where did, or do you work?

That's not my experience chef. I have never been asked about my age during a trail or an interview until I moved there and also the word seasonal came up a lot. I took what I could get so I worked at 5 napkin burger then for a temp agency. I'm in Worcester now and not much is going on here.

post #5 of 13
Thread Starter 

Thanks chef. Any specific agency I should avoid? Off the record if need be.

post #6 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by chefedb View Post

G O TO ANY RESTAURANT AGENCY IN NEW YORK SIGN UP. WITH THEM

Thanks chef. Any agencies I should avoid? Off the record if need be.

post #7 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexalexnyc View Post

That's not my experience chef. I have never been asked about my age during a trail or an interview until I moved there and also the word seasonal came up a lot. I took what I could get so I worked at 5 napkin burger then for a temp agency. I'm in Worcester now and not much is going on here.

have you tried http://www.BostonChefs.com ?

 

Lots of places hiring in Boston, and some very good restaurants, at that.

post #8 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelRJ View Post

have you tried http://www.BostonChefs.com ?

 

Lots of places hiring in Boston, and some very good restaurants, at that.

Oh absolutely chef........and craigslist and indeed many times. But this isn't about Boston anymore. I have made my decision to move back to New York and I just need advice on how to avoid the buzzsaw I ran into last time I was there. Thanks though.

post #9 of 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by alexalexnyc View Post

Oh absolutely chef........and craigslist and indeed many times. But this isn't about Boston anymore. I have made my decision to move back to New York and I just need advice on how to avoid the buzzsaw I ran into last time I was there. Thanks though.

 

 Good luck man! your experience in NYC before doesn't sound like something i'd even think about returning to.

post #10 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by SquirrelRJ View Post

 

 Good luck man! your experience in NYC before doesn't sound like something i'd even think about returning to.

Thank you chef! I think I'll exercise quite a bit of caution this time around and do my research.

post #11 of 13

They are all governd by laws and the bad ones did not survive.. Look up a guy named Al Mondlin if he is still around.

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply
post #12 of 13

You also might want to check out

http://goodfoodjobs.com/

 

You can search for employment by region and they have lots of listings of interesting food related jobs that are not necessarily in restaurants.

We've had good results listing there.

www.foodandphoto.com

Liquored up and laquered down,
She's got the biggest hair in town!

Reply

www.foodandphoto.com

Liquored up and laquered down,
She's got the biggest hair in town!

Reply
post #13 of 13
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodnfoto View Post

You also might want to check out

http://goodfoodjobs.com/

 

You can search for employment by region and they have lots of listings of interesting food related jobs that are not necessarily in restaurants.

We've had good results listing there.

Wow, what a great site.............thank you!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Professional Chefs
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Professional Food Service › Professional Chefs › Any suggestions on how to gain NYC experience?