Sugo alla Puttanesca
- 1/2 cup pitted oil cured black olives, sliced
- 4 salt packed anchovy fillets - boned and well rinsed
- 2 garlic cloves - thinly sliced
- 3 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 tablespoon salt-packed capers, rinsed and minced
- 1 1/2 C of basic tomato sauce
- Dried red pepper flakes to taste*
- 1 lb spaghetti
Add the garlic and the red pepper flakes* to a sauté pan and sauté in the oil with the anchovies, stirring the mixture about to break up the anchovies.
When the garlic’s lightly browned, add the olives, capers, and tomato sauce.
Check seasoning. (Because the anchovies, capers and olives may still have some salt on them)
Simmer the sauce for fifteen minutes, stirring occasionally.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta, 1 minute short of al dente.
Stir the pasta into the sauce.
Cook together to finish the pasta and have it absorb the flavors of the sauce.
Serve with a grated pecorino.
*You can add the red pepper flakes at the very end and get a mild sauce with an occasional hit of heat or pass a bowl of the flakes to your diners to add at their pleasure. This sauce is traditionally spicy!