I did post this same question and answer session on another forum, so if you are on both, be patient.
1. OK, I have searched to the end of the internet in my quest for new knives, and all roads lead back to this, and another, forum. I have spent months reading through various threads, reviews, and anything else I could find, just to be as confused as when I started. I’ve visited various stores in Germany because I thought I would go that route, but I decided to go another route. Finally, I just said enough is enough, and came up with my list. Oh, and a friend of mine is in the same boat and he’s waiting for me to complete the research journey.
I’m not a chef, just a beat around the kitchen person. I also process my own deer, so maybe there can be a few suggestions there. I’m tired of my worthless selection of knives, so that’s what started my journey. Feel free to dissuade me from any of my decisions/choices.
I do plan on sharpening my own knives with and Edge Pro system. I just don’t have the time or patience to free hand it. Please fire away and I’m open to all suggestions.
Here’s what I came up with. I will probably not buy everything right off, but sometimes I just can’t wait.
MAC Pro 9.5” Chef
MAC Pro 3.25” Pairing
MAC Pro 6” Utility
MAC Pro 6” Boning
I understand that the Tojiros are entry level knives, but I probably won’t use these particular knives as much.
Tojiro DP 240mm sujihiki
Tojiro DP Bread ITK
Tojiro DP 210mm western deba
2. I will be corresponding with Chef Knives To Go, and searching this forum, about the Edge Pro sharpening system. Any comments?
3. Also, how do you store your knives? I don’t want them just banging around in a drawer and I’m not too crazy about a big block sitting on the counter.
4. Steak knives. I want a nice set that will stand up to banging around on a plate. Obviously money is an issue, but something unique, like this http://www.newwestknifeworks.com/product/kitchen-knives--fusionwood-line/steak-knife-gift-set/3229.
5. If someone wanted to buy Henckles, which series would one buy. I have looked at the Twin Cermax and the Miyabi 7000MC. Love the feel of both, but not willing to put that kind of cash in to them.
Sorry for all the questions, but I’m sure I will come up with more.