Tiramisù means Pick Me Up or Energize ...
Here is a modern take on the classic from my Nonna Margherite. I realise now that i had typed this awhile ago, that you wanted a Mousse Tiramisù. That is why I mentioned I have a strawberry one. Any way, here is a modern one that is not mousse. I shall locate and post it this week.
8 oz. semisweet chocolate
1/2 cup sugar
4 egg yolks
1 1/2 tsps. vanilla extract
8 oz. of cream cheese room temperature
1 cup of chilled whipped cream combined with 1 cup of chilled Mascarpone
1 tblsp. instant espresso powder diluted in 1 1/4 cups hot water which has been cooled
1 twelve ounce prepared pound cake cut into strips of : 3 1/2 inches x 1 inch x 1/2 inch
1. finely break or shatter the chocolate in a food processor and set aside
2. add the vanilla and process until pale yellow - approx. 1 minute
3. add the cheese in batches and combine thoroughly
4. transfer to bowl of large size
5. cover and chil one hour
6. whisk the whipping cream until stiff
7. fold into the mascarpone and cover and refrigerate until chilled and ready to use
8. prepare the espresso and then,`put in a large shallow glass dish
9. dip the cake strips in the espresso and turn to coat all sides
10. place the pound cake strips at the bottom of a 10 inch cup shallow dish and smooth with fingers to mold together
11. sprinkle with half the chocolate and top with the chilled cream cheese mixture
12. Now sprinkle remaining chocolate for topping
13. refrigerate covered for 3 hrs.
14. now, top with the mascarpone and whipped cream topping
15. serve with Espresso or Iced Espresso and a cordial of choice.
Hope this has assisted.
Edited by margcata - 8/28/12 at 7:08am