This lovely bisque recipe was given to me by the Chef of Restaurant Grano, in Williamsville, New York, close to Buffalo.
5 large red bell peppers
3 1/2 cups chicken stock
1 tsp. paprika
1 scant tsp. sugar
3/4 cups cream
1/2 cup of Pecorino Romano or Pecorino Sardo cheese
Piquant dry red chili flakes
1 tblsp. Evoo
16 large fresh prawns ( shrimps )
3 tblsps.finely minced Basil Herb
1. char the bell peps over gas flame or in broiler until blackened on all sides
2. enclose in brown paper bag and let stand 10 mins.
3. peel and seed the bell peps
4. cut 1 pepper into match stick strips and set aside
5. combine peppers and stock in large pot and simmer until peps are tender, 5 mins. - 6 mins.
6. work in batches: purèe to blender smoothness
7. return purèe to sauce pan & add the Paprika and the sugar and simmer 5 mins to blend the flavors
8. whisk in the cream and Pecorino and season to taste with chili pepper and the sa
9. add the bell pep strips to sauté and season with salt and freshly ground white, green, rose and black pepper and add the shrimp and sauté 3 mins. until cooked and coral pink in color
10. drain the shrimp and bell pepper from the oil
11. heat the soup and ladle the shrimp combination into the soup
12. sprinkle basil over and serve with hot crusty oven warm bread and a glass of Rosé sparkling wine or Prosecco sparkling white wine.