Orecchiette con Cime di Rape: Orecchiette with Sautéed Greens, Capers
Puglia is the long heel of Italy´s boot; known for its unmisted blue skies, golden wheat, olive trees, wineyards, the turquoise and royal blue Adriatic Sea and its ancient white buildings called Trulli.
The Greeks occupied Puglia for more than 3.000 years, and thus, have left a most enduring and profound impression on the gastronomic culture of southeastern Italy.
Saturdays or Sundays are always dedicated to one of my Nonna´s ( Paternal Italian Grandmother ) Recipes and / or one of my husband´s Grandmom´s or Mom´s Italian Recipes. Here is one which we love to have in Puglia, as it is a staple in Puglia.
Recipe for 4 People: Orecchiette con Cime di Rape ( Greens ) and Capers:
500 grams of Orecchiette ( Little Ear Pasta ) *** can substitute: Medium Size Shell Pasta
1 pound of fresh turnip leaves or spinach leaves or Swiss Chard or beetroot leaves
5 tblsps. Extra virgin olive oil preferably Italian
8 anchovies rinsed thoroughly and patted dry with paper towel
1 red chili pepper fresh or dried of choice ( available in your region )
2 garlic cloves minced
1 tblsp. Capers rinsed thoroughly & patted dry with paper towel
1 Bay Leaf
1. Cook the greens in a pot of boiling salted water until wilted about 3 mins.
2. Using a slotted spoon, transfer the greens to a strainer and drain thoroughly
3. Reserve the cooking liquid in the pot
4. Squeeze thoroughly the greens dry and chop coarsely
5. heat some Evoo in a sauté skillet, and add the anchovy filets coarsely sliced, the chili pepper sliced finely, and the Bay Leaf
6. Mash the anchovies with the back of the spoon and sauté 2 to 3 mins.
7. Add the Greens & the Capers & the garlic and sauté with the anchovies about 2 mins. to coat
8. discard the bay leaf
9. return the cooking liquid to boil and add the Little Ear Pasta and cook until just tender and yet firm to bite
10. Strain pasta thoroughly and combine with the Greens, Capers and Anchovies and season with salt and freshly ground black pepper
11.Serve with: crusty warm bread of choice, Reggiano Parmesano Cheese and a glass of Italian Wine or a Beer.
*** This recipe is prepared with fresh Spinach and Basilicata, Italy Province Red Chili Peppers.
*** Jalapeños can subbed.
Have lovely Labor Day.
Edited by margcata - 9/1/12 at 3:42am