or Connect
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › Any Foods Disgust You?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Any Foods Disgust You? - Page 2

post #31 of 71

the half .... grown chicken in an egg and u eat it...

i think its like from malaysia or indonesia.. somethin like that

YUKKK
 

post #32 of 71

There isn't much I have been unwilling to try - but...  I have tried and don't like...

 

sweetbreads

tripe

truffles (edible funghi type, not confectionery!)

kidneys

and

 

DURIAN fruit

post #33 of 71

I'm yet to eat a veggie "burger" that i've found pleasant.

post #34 of 71

Cow tongue, when it is long-cooked with root veggie, lot of herbs and spices, is very tender and delicious..of course you have to peel it before eating...also smoked is awesome...carpaccio sliced with some appropriate sauce (like horseradish sauce or bellpepper chutney, for instance) and some pickled veggie is real delicacy...
 

post #35 of 71

For me it would have to be "Hippie food", like not-dogs and Tofurkey.

 

T


Edited by Tommy D - 10/8/12 at 10:47am
post #36 of 71

Egg whites... The white part of a fried egg; or hard boiled eggs for example.  The way it tastes and smells both make me gag instantly.

post #37 of 71

The fertilised egg is from The Philippines and called Balut. 

 

I do not like the idea of offal, oysters, insects or bugs.  And I simply drawer the line at penicillian or any mold injected into food (think blue cheese).
 

post #38 of 71
I'm with Marghata, anything mushy that is not supposed to be. Like bread soggy from wet ingredients. I really do not understand people actually putting bread in their soup

I vacation in northern WI, and there are some pretty nasty looking things in the deli's there, seems to be Scandinavian stuff. Ooh yeah, and I will never touch anything with blood in it, can't even imagine eating blood pudding. That's Scottish isn't it ? Makes me distrust the whole country.
post #39 of 71

It's refreshing to see that someone posted Mcdonalds and KFC. I haven't had fast food in so many years. I will not eat fast food at all ever. It's not that I don't like it. I love and miss Wendy's and white castle, and even BK...but years ago I made a commitment to myself never to eat that poison ever again. There are other poisons I allow myself to have once in a blue moon, but fast food is not one of them.

 

 

Foods that absolutely disgust me are Parsley, mayo, and egg yolks. When I see someone eating runny yolks I want to hurl. It's looks like someone eating yellow snot. It's disgusting to me. I used to be able to eat it, but one year I drew the line and realized I was an adult and didn't have to force myself to eat it anymore.

“After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relations.”
Oscar Wilde

 

 

Reply
“After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relations.”
Oscar Wilde

 

 

Reply
post #40 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by IndyGal View Post


I vacation in northern WI, and there are some pretty nasty looking things in the deli's there, seems to be Scandinavian stuff. Ooh yeah, and I will never touch anything with blood in it, can't even imagine eating blood pudding. That's Scottish isn't it ? Makes me distrust the whole country.


Blood pudding is from practically anywhere that they butcher pigs, IndyGal, so at least every european country has them, better distrust everyonesmile.gif.  I've had chocolate blood pudding in Italy, where the blood was used as thickener.

 

I won't eat organs of waste (kidneys, intestines) - they disgust me, and there are surely plenty of things i never encountered or heard of that i wouldn;.t eat. 

 

Once during the height of the mad cow scare, i was looking at alternative meat - horse was very good (there are special horse butchers here, and the meat is always considered really good for children and higher quality than beef) but it was harder to find - and once i tried ostrich.  I'm not disgusted by the animal itself, but i decided to go slowly and buy it ground and make a meatloaf.  All fine until i put it in the mixer to mix it quickly, and it turned gelatinous - the thought passed through my brain that "this is what i imagine you might find when if you went to another planet and tried to eat their food, it would be weird like this" - and at that point my stomach closed up and i couldn;t eat it.  Everyone else at home thought it was good.  Disgust is a funny thing. 

 

I won't eat live animals or any that you have to mask with lemon juice and swallow in one bite (which tells me something in itself) like oysters or clams or all those raw seafood things they give you as appetizers in italian sea areas

"Siduri said, 'Gilgamesh, where are you roaming? You will never find the eternal life that you seek...Savour your food, make each of your days a delight, ... let music and dancing fill your house, love the child who holds you by the hand and give your wife pleasure in your embrace.'"
Reply
"Siduri said, 'Gilgamesh, where are you roaming? You will never find the eternal life that you seek...Savour your food, make each of your days a delight, ... let music and dancing fill your house, love the child who holds you by the hand and give your wife pleasure in your embrace.'"
Reply
post #41 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by siduri View Post

Blood pudding is from practically anywhere that they butcher pigs...

...or cows, or even other animals. When I was a kid it was a staple food: the kind of stuff that they'd serve you at least twice a month for lunch at school, accompanied with apple sauce. I've always loved it.  

 

 

Quote:
Originally Posted by siduri View Post

once i tried ostrich.  I'm not disgusted by the animal itself, but i decided to go slowly and buy it ground and make a meatloaf.  All fine until i put it in the mixer to mix it quickly, and it turned gelatinous - the thought passed through my brain that "this is what i imagine you might find when if you went to another planet and tried to eat their food, it would be weird like this" - and at that point my stomach closed up and i couldn;t eat it.  Everyone else at home thought it was good.  Disgust is a funny thing. 

 

 

Tried an ostrich burger once and it was delicious. It was at a restaurant though - I did no grind the meat myself. I do believe that if no one had told me it was ostrich I'd have thought it was a burger made from some kind of very lean cut of beef. 

 

 

Quote:

Originally Posted by siduri View Post

I won't eat live animals or any that you have to mask with lemon juice and swallow in one bite (which tells me something in itself) like oysters or clams or all those raw seafood things they give you as appetizers in italian sea areas

 

You don't have to mask oysters or clams with lemon juice, nor do you have to swallow them in one bite. I have had oysters with absolutely nothing but their own water/juice and I have chewed on them. Oysters are one of the food that took me the longest to get used to - I probably had my first oyster when I was a teenager, didn't like it. I tried again 10 years later, thought they were actually ... 'okay'. Tried again years later and I kinda like them, etc... fast forward to now, I do enjoy oysters once in a while for Xmas or big occasions. We usually serve them with halved lemons and a simple sauce made from really good red wine vinegar and minced shallots. I sometimes use the lemon and/or the sauce, but if the oysters are really good ones, I won't put anything on them. 

post #42 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by French Fries View Post

...or cows, or even other animals. When I was a kid it was a staple food: the kind of stuff that they'd serve you at least twice a month for lunch at school, accompanied with apple sauce. I've always loved it.  

 

That's funny FF, my husband said his mother used to save the chicken blood and fry it and tell him it was liver when he was a little kid (post war italy, trying to get enough iron into the kids) - it's interesting to think that she made the thought of chicken blood palatable by calling it "liver" to a kid!!! 

"Siduri said, 'Gilgamesh, where are you roaming? You will never find the eternal life that you seek...Savour your food, make each of your days a delight, ... let music and dancing fill your house, love the child who holds you by the hand and give your wife pleasure in your embrace.'"
Reply
"Siduri said, 'Gilgamesh, where are you roaming? You will never find the eternal life that you seek...Savour your food, make each of your days a delight, ... let music and dancing fill your house, love the child who holds you by the hand and give your wife pleasure in your embrace.'"
Reply
post #43 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by siduri View Post

it's interesting to think that she made the thought of chicken blood palatable by calling it "liver" to a kid!!! 

Funny indeed. As a kid my parents served me brains, tongue, liver, heart, blood sausage, snails, frogs, marrow etc... and I was happy to eat all of that (I've always looooved marrow). 

 

I could never get to like tripes. And eels always disgusted me, that big poached smelly snake-shaped fish all gelatinous.... but maybe it was the way they were cooked, who knows. 

 

PS: I have a recipe book with a recipe for cooking a beef eye. Never tried it, don't intend to. lol.gif

post #44 of 71

I love all parts of every animal I have eaten. I've eaten shark brain, duck penis and just about anything we cooks can get under the sun. There is only one food that disgusts me. Olives. I hate olives.

Gourmandise is an impassioned, rational and habitual preference for all objects that flatter the sense of taste.
Reply
Gourmandise is an impassioned, rational and habitual preference for all objects that flatter the sense of taste.
Reply
post #45 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by siduri View Post

 

I won't eat live animals or any that you have to mask with lemon juice and swallow in one bite (which tells me something in itself) like oysters or clams or all those raw seafood things they give you as appetizers in italian sea areas

 

Putting lemon juice on an oyster or clam is not done so to mask it, it is done so to enhance its flavor, just like any other food you put lemon juice on.  I have never swallowed an oyster, the enjoyment for me comes from chewing it and enjoying the briny taste of the sea.  I love the texture!  It's much like a snail.

"You are what you eat, so don't be fast, cheap, easy, or fake."

Reply

"You are what you eat, so don't be fast, cheap, easy, or fake."

Reply
post #46 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by French Fries View Post

Funny indeed. As a kid my parents served me brains, tongue, liver, heart, blood sausage, snails, frogs, marrow etc... and I was happy to eat all of that (I've always looooved marrow). 

 

I could never get to like tripes. And eels always disgusted me, that big poached smelly snake-shaped fish all gelatinous.... but maybe it was the way they were cooked, who knows. 

 

PS: I have a recipe book with a recipe for cooking a beef eye. Never tried it, don't intend to. lol.gif

Hehe, as a lover of organ meats, I never could get into tripes myself. My mother made them, but, to be honest, the local style of preparation is bland, tasteless and rubbery. It's on my agenda to try out some French or Spanish recipes, but for some reason, I am always pushing the plan forward to "next week" wink.gif

 

Eels are indeed a matter of preparation. You have to respect that they are a) rather fatty and b) quite gelatinous. I do like them smoked, though.

post #47 of 71

I hate the smell of tripe, and the thought of what it contained also puts me off.  My mother occasionally made it and i remember the smell filling the entire house just in the initial boiling process to clean it.  bla.  But i noticed that at least the italian way of cooking it is one of the most complicated sauces, with tomato, orange peel, garlic, and lots of other very tasty things, that i presume were made to cover the taste.  When italians say they like tripe i say they like the sauce, and if you put the sauce on something else it would taste as good.  But i know some especially like the texture of it.  Kind of creeps me out. 

"Siduri said, 'Gilgamesh, where are you roaming? You will never find the eternal life that you seek...Savour your food, make each of your days a delight, ... let music and dancing fill your house, love the child who holds you by the hand and give your wife pleasure in your embrace.'"
Reply
"Siduri said, 'Gilgamesh, where are you roaming? You will never find the eternal life that you seek...Savour your food, make each of your days a delight, ... let music and dancing fill your house, love the child who holds you by the hand and give your wife pleasure in your embrace.'"
Reply
post #48 of 71
I was introduced to tripe through a vietnamanese friend's grandmother. I enjoy the texture of it only when it's been cooked on a low simmer for HOURS.
Gourmandise is an impassioned, rational and habitual preference for all objects that flatter the sense of taste.
Reply
Gourmandise is an impassioned, rational and habitual preference for all objects that flatter the sense of taste.
Reply
post #49 of 71

Chitlins.

 

And Jello.

post #50 of 71

I can eat everything mentioned here. But i'm not sure i could eat casu marzu. That's a little too much for me.

post #51 of 71
Those ham loaf things with chunks of macaroni and processed cheese.

I still have a bit of a thing against pear onions. As a child I remember eating a pot pie with slightly underdone pearl onions strewn in it. This was while watching the film Saturn Three. Something about the belch induceing onions mixed with sight a barenaked Kurt Douglas wrestling with Harvey Keitel in space implanted an irrational, but deep sewn mistrust of the things.

Al
post #52 of 71
I also apparently have a thing against spelling when using this moble device.
post #53 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by ordo View Post

I can eat everything mentioned here. But i'm not sure i could eat casu marzu. That's a little too much for me.

 

First off, where could a person get a hold of that.  Surely it is has to be banned in most of the US due to violating most states' health codes.

post #54 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by j20832 View Post

 

First off, where could a person get a hold of that.  Surely it is has to be banned in most of the US due to violating most states' health codes.

 

Not in USA, but you may find  casu marzu in certain parts of Italy. A black market, i guess. There's kind of a legal fight to this cheese to be acccepted. Anyway i wont eat it.

Another disgusting food is Balut eggs. 

post #55 of 71

Silk worm larvae. If you ever get a chance to try them just run. If you can imagine fish sauce that's been out in the sun for around 2 years you're getting close to it.

post #56 of 71
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanMcPherson View Post

I still have a bit of a thing against pear onions. As a child I remember eating a pot pie with slightly underdone pearl onions strewn in it. This was while watching the film Saturn Three. Something about the belch induceing onions mixed with sight a barenaked Kurt Douglas wrestling with Harvey Keitel in space implanted an irrational, but deep sewn mistrust of the things.

It's so fascinating how memory works, and how it affects the psychology of taste. The last time my wife ate bulgur she then got really sick. I don't think she got sick because of the bulgur, but nevertheless she can never eat bulgur again. Too bad! :)

post #57 of 71

EEL, Smoked Rattlesnake, Escargot, Overcooked Vegetables of any kind on my plate

CHEFED
Reply
CHEFED
Reply
post #58 of 71

Yes, overcooked vegetables, and meats.

“After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relations.”
Oscar Wilde

 

 

Reply
“After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relations.”
Oscar Wilde

 

 

Reply
post #59 of 71
Originally Posted by siduri " interesting to think that she made the thought of chicken blood palatable by calling it "liver" to a kid!!! "

My mother used to tell all my cousins that liver was steak. And they believed it. But then my mother made liver gourmets out of a lot ours people. Imagine my shock when i went to college and accepted dormitory liver once. I had no idea liver could be so bad. Moms was always great.

Yikes. Guess I'll have to all about all meat products if i ever go back to Europe. Don't want any blood in any food.
post #60 of 71
For more psychological oddities, catch this weeks' Radio Lab (NPR - you can listen to the podcast). If people held or drank a warm beveredge before being asked their impression of some one, they thought the people were warm & inviting. Just the opposite for cold drinks. Among other odd quirks. For instance, if you ask someone to do something mentally challenging, they are less likely to resist temptation, such as cake,etc. People given easy mental challenges were far more likely to make choices consistent with thoughtful long term goals, healthier choices.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food & Cooking
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › Any Foods Disgust You?