Need to make carrot cake cupake. The cake form recipe calls for oil and the cupcake is butter. How much mixing is needed when using oil recipe since difficult to tell. do you even need to use a mixer? Planning to use american test kitchen recipe for the cupcakes or a rectangle stacked one for easy transporting to work.
carrot cake: to mix or not
You can use butter or oil ( for a single batch its usually 1/3 cup ) . If using butter make sure its soft. And no, you don't need to use a mixer, just whisk the ingredients together.
Always add your "other" ingredients at the end ie: grated carrots, pineapple, nuts, coconut, raisins, etc.
Réalisé avec un soupçon d'amour.
- CARROT CAKE:
- 2 cups All-purpose Flour
- 2 teaspoons Baking Soda
- ½ teaspoons Salt
- 2 teaspoons Ground Cinnamon
- 3 whole Large Eggs
- 2 cups Sugar
- ¾ cups Vegetable Oil
- ¾ cups Buttermilk
- 2 teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- 2 cups Grated Carrot
- 1 can (8 Oz. Can) Crushed Pineapple, Drained
- 3-½ ounces, weight Flaked Coconut
- 1 cup Chopped Pecans
- BUTTERMILK GLAZE:
- ½ cups Sugar
- ¾ teaspoons Baking Soda
- ¼ cups Buttermilk
- ¼ cups Butter Or Margarine
- ½ Tablespoons Light Corn Syrup
- ½ teaspoons Vanilla Extract
- Cream Cheese Frosting
- ¾ cups Butter Or Margarine, Softened
- 11 ounces, weight Cream Cheese, Softened
- 3 cups Sifted Powdered Sugar
- 1-½ teaspoon Vanilla Extract
Previous thread says mix using mayo method..but most just says to whisk the wet and add the carrot, nuts, etc.2
So, I am unsure what is the right way? I prefer butter in my desserts since I find the oil to be greasy, can I used half butter and oil?
Substituting a bit of melted butter for shortening will not make a huge difference.
Mixer or hand?
I vote hand.
Prep this recipe into 3 parts..wets, drys (presifted and whisked to mix) and add-ins (pre mix these also)
Whisk wets to emulsion then add drys, whisk for a moment and switch to large spatula, when cannot see flour add your "goodies" and finish with spatula.
* if you decide to go all butter, then switch to the creaming method.
I suspect the suggested fat changes are due to the fact that all oil might spoil the paper cuppies.