For the first time today, Christmas, I made a shortbread cookie! I was super excited to try a different kind of cookie and really enjoy it, but lo, no Christmas miracle in my house, lol! I live in a high altitude state, so I know that affects baking, but normally that means add more flour and I know better than to do that in a shortbread cookie. The recipe I had said to put the oven on 350 degrees and cook for 10-15 mins when they start turning brown. I ended up cooking them for close to 20-25 mins, depending on the batch. Even then, the center on some of them were still pretty soft. I made to sure make them pretty flat, thin, and round and that helped a little, but not by much. After I pulled them out of the oven and they cooled down, it helped, but still a bit soft in the center. Here's the recipe:
Shortbread filled with maraschino cherries and chocolate and optionally drizzled with or dipped in more chocolate.
Servings: makes 24+ cookies
Prep Time: 10 minutes
Chill Time: 1 hour
Cook Time: 15 minutes
Total Time: 1 hour 25 minutes
- 1 cup (2 sticks) unsalted butter, room temperature
- 1/2 cup confectioners sugar
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 cup maraschino cherries, chopped
- 1/2 cup white and/or dark chocolate chips
- 1/2 tablespoon vanilla extract
- 8 ounces white and/or dark chocolate, chopped (optional)
- Cream the butter and the sugar.
- Mix the flour and the salt.
- Mix the dry ingredients into the wet until it starts forming larger clumps.
- Mix in the maraschino cherries, white chocolate and vanilla extract.
- Form the dough into the shape that you want, wrap it in plastic and let it chill in the fridge for at least an hour. (I did a rectangular log but you could also do a circular log.)
- Cut the log into 1/4 inch thick slices and place them on a parchment lined baking pan with one inch of space between them.
- Bake in a preheated 325F oven until they just start to turn lightly golden brown on top, about 10-15 minutes.
- Let cool completely.
- Melt the chocolate in a double boiler. (optional)
- Dip the cookies into the chocolate and place on a sheet of parchment paper and let cool until the chocolate sets. (optional)
He said to not add the juice, but I wouldn't think that would necessarily affect the cookie. Hopefully someone can help me!