or Connect
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › I am a cook but certainly not a chef, I need help!
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

I am a cook but certainly not a chef, I need help!

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 
I am a cook but certainly not a chef.
I can cook 2000 lb of pork for a fund raiser, but my cooking skills are otherwise limited.
I am much more comfortable in the shop designing and building cookers than I am in the kitchen actually cooking.
I have a new wood fired cooker that heats a 40 quart pot.
I need some ideas about what to cook so I may ask some questions in the recipes section.
The only thing I have to offer to this forum may be information about kitchen exhaust systems. I have designed, build and installed many grease hood and other kitchen exhaust systems as well as exhaust systems and large ovens for industry.
post #2 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookfab View Post

I need some ideas about what to cook

 

So where do you want to start? 

For how many people are you cooking?

Are you looking for simple stuff, or impressive fancy stuff? 

What do you like? Meat? Veggies? Legumes? Grains, rice, pasta? All of the above? 

 

 

To get you started with some ideas.... it's winter, and I've been focusing on taste over presentation lately, so been making a lot of braises, exploring various countries: 

 

- Blanquette de veau (veal), Navarin d'agneau (lamb), Coq au vin (chicken), Pork shoulder in milk  (France)

- Beef Redang, Pork ribs in coconut milk, chicken curry (Southeast Asia)

- Chile verde (Mexico)

....etc. 

post #3 of 8
Quote:
I am much more comfortable in the shop designing and building cookers than I am in the kitchen actually cooking.
I have a new wood fired cooker that heats a 40 quart pot.

 

Can you elaborate?   I have no idea what you are talking about when you say "cookers".

 

Are you looking for 40qt pot recipes?  

 

Honestly not trying to be an ass - I just don't get what you're asking.

----

 


"Plus, this method makes you look like a complete lunatic. If you care about that sort of thing".  - Dave Arnold

 

Reply

----

 


"Plus, this method makes you look like a complete lunatic. If you care about that sort of thing".  - Dave Arnold

 

Reply
post #4 of 8
Thread Starter 
I need to cook full pots of various foods to test my stove which will be about 30 liters/quarts. I am using a heavy duty 40 quart aluminum sauce pot.
I have done water boiling test and I have cooked pinto beans, now I am ready for some real food.
I need something less expensive to start with, and then work my way up.
I like all of the above foods you mentioned. I may want to start with a dish that is a complete meal, something I can freeze or can.
And possibly something that has the potential to be used for fund raising. Something that is less work than barbecue. Something I can scale up to 25 gallons. I also have a 35 gallon vat cooker.
Thanks of your response, the braises you mentioned sound very interesting. I may try one of those on my household oven.
post #5 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelGA View Post

Can you elaborate?   I have no idea what you are talking about when you say "cookers".

Are you looking for 40qt pot recipes?  

Honestly not trying to be an ass - I just don't get what you're asking.

MichaelGA,
Thanks for the response, I sometimes use the term cooker for stoves, ovens and vat cookers. I have a single burner wood fired stove.
I am looking for 40 qt pot recipes.
Something less expensive until I am sure that I will not pick up a metallic taste from the aluminum pot.
Do you cook with non anodized aluminum?
How do you clean an aluminum pot?
Thanks
post #6 of 8

I was going to say you could make stock to then reduce into a sauce for example, but stock in aluminum pot tastes off - it will take on the taste of the aluminum pot. For those reasons I don't really like cooking with aluminum, especially stocks and/or long simmered braises etc...

post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by cookfab View Post


MichaelGA,
Thanks for the response, I sometimes use the term cooker for stoves, ovens and vat cookers. I have a single burner wood fired stove.
I am looking for 40 qt pot recipes.
Something less expensive until I am sure that I will not pick up a metallic taste from the aluminum pot.
Do you cook with non anodized aluminum?
How do you clean an aluminum pot?
Thanks

 

Hi cookfab. I think I can help you on How do you clean an aluminum pot? There are so many way on how to clean a aluminum pot. Just go the the youtube and get all the material to used. I am happy to help you and more power.

post #8 of 8

Look up some Gumbos or Chilis, They can range from cheap to expensive, and both will test out a pot. Chili is the less involved, but Gumbo is a Lot more fun.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food & Cooking
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › I am a cook but certainly not a chef, I need help!