Originally Posted by dcarch
IMHO, 95% of the success is to have a good slab of beef.
Then, 95% of that remaining 5% is about timing and temperature to get the right texture..
If a steak is done perfectly, with no seasoning whatsoever on it, give it to me, I will just sprinkle some salt and pepper on it, and it will be spectacular just the same.
I agree 95%. But there's 5% of me that can't help but to disagree.... To me that reasoning makes it sound like once you've bought a great steak, you've already done 95% of the work... but that's only true if you already know how to cook and season a steak. I think your numbers hold true as long as the cook doesn't stray too far from an ideally cooked/seasoned steak.
I personally believe that the quality of the steak is very important when cooked/seasoned right, but not that important when cooked/seasoned wrong.
Think about it this way: would you rather have:
1) an exceptional quality steak completely overcooked and over salted?
2) a decent quality steak perfectly cooked and seasoned?
So one could argue that for a beginner, spending time perfecting their cooking time and seasoning chops are more important than buying quality steaks. Once you know how to cook and season very well, then buying quality steak starts to matter much more.
I once cooked and seasoned a steak PERFECTLY. I was at a BBQ party and everybody absolutely loved it and kept asking me for my rub recipe (it was salt and pepper). The steak was a very good quality steak. Later one girl from the party decided to reproduce my steak, and the only question she asked was where I bought it. I told her where to buy it. Her steak ended up sub-par. Because she didn't cook it right, and to a lesser extent, because she didn't season it perfectly. I feel like she'd have gotten a better result if she'd bought a "normal" steak and cooked and seasoned it perfectly.
Anyway I believe we most likely all agree, it's just a matter of how you look at the numbers, especially in the more extreme cases.
And dcarch, and ordo, I would eat any steak you prepare for me any day of the week. Ordo I know you probably have access to some of the best steaks in the world, and dcarch I know you'd make my plate look like a million dollar work of art.