or Connect
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › Carnitas, From Butt to Beyond
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Carnitas, From Butt to Beyond

post #1 of 10
Thread Starter 

 

 

Carnitas goes over well at our house, it's full of flavor and for those that don't like it hot can kep the topping on the cooler side.

I broke down a leg portion of one of our pigs, this is how it went...

I use the some of that Loin portion for some breaded pork tenderloin sandwiches

The Shank will be used for navy bean soup

 

These are portions from the butt and shoulder.

 

I used one for Sausage and one for the Carnitas..his is seasoned and ready for braising

 

I braised it in a heavy restaurant quality pot, then deglaze the pan with the vegetables, some wine and then add chicken stock.

 

I bring this to a boil then cover and put in the oven for 3 to 4 hrs until it is fork like this

I then take a fork and seperate the meat, season it, and fry is some of the dripping/fat from the meat. This can be done under the broiler also.

 

There is a Mexican store that make homemade flour tortillas in my town, they are hot off the press ready to eat. one of the packages gets opened up in the car for a hot sample of a nice warm tortillas................this is the dinner plate with the carnitas, refried beans and corn chips.

post #2 of 10

Nice Billy - When shoulder is on sale I have the butcher slice it 1-1/2" thick and braise that.  Last time I braised the pork in a local porter and root beer and it was delicious.

post #3 of 10

That looks delicious.

 

I often buy shoulder because it is often on sale and it has a fair amount of fat in it but the supermarkets here trim all of the pork cuts of nearly all of the surface fat. I never see a nice fat cap. Never.

post #4 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTerry View Post

That looks delicious.

 

I often buy shoulder because it is often on sale and it has a fair amount of fat in it but the supermarkets here trim all of the pork cuts of nearly all of the surface fat. I never see a nice fat cap. Never.

Y

 

Checkout your local mexicano "tienda" supermercado that has an in-house butcher shop.  There, you should be able to get a boston butt aka shoulder with fat cap included.

Best and I'm a foodie.   I know very little but the little that I know I want to know very well.

 

-T

Brot und Wein
(1 photos)
 
Reply

Best and I'm a foodie.   I know very little but the little that I know I want to know very well.

 

-T

Brot und Wein
(1 photos)
 
Reply
post #5 of 10

Looks wonderful Billy. Would you mind sharing your recipe for Carnitas? I ought to give this a try! smile.gif

post #6 of 10

You know--I do most of my food shopping at a Mexican fruit market in my neighborhood that also has a small butcher case but I rarely look at the meat there.  Partly because the butchers are a bit surly if you don't speak Spanish and partly because you used to be able to smell the butcher case when you walked in the door and it wasn't very nice.  Everything is now pre-cut and packaged and the old blood smell is mostly gone. So are most of the surly  butchers. You're right. I should get over it and check it out. It's dirt cheap--which I have mixed feelings about.  I don't like to think too hard about how they keep their prices so low. 

post #7 of 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTerry View Post

You know--I do most of my food shopping at a Mexican fruit market in my neighborhood that also has a small butcher case but I rarely look at the meat there.  Partly because the butchers are a bit surly if you don't speak Spanish and partly because you used to be able to smell the butcher case when you walked in the door and it wasn't very nice.  Everything is now pre-cut and packaged and the old blood smell is mostly gone. So are most of the surly  butchers. You're right. I should get over it and check it out. It's dirt cheap--which I have mixed feelings about.  I don't like to think too hard about how they keep their prices so low. 


I'm certain that there are other mercados in your area that present themselves in a better light.

Best and I'm a foodie.   I know very little but the little that I know I want to know very well.

 

-T

Brot und Wein
(1 photos)
 
Reply

Best and I'm a foodie.   I know very little but the little that I know I want to know very well.

 

-T

Brot und Wein
(1 photos)
 
Reply
post #8 of 10

Don't get me wrong, It's my favorite place to shop for most things I buy. The produce is gorgeous. I think a lot of my squeamishness about the meat counter comes from having spent decades as a vegetarian. I'm not very confident about selecting meat yet.

 

Billy, what did you braise it in?

post #9 of 10
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTerry View Post

Don't get me wrong, It's my favorite place to shop for most things I buy. The produce is gorgeous. I think a lot of my squeamishness about the meat counter comes from having spent decades as a vegetarian. I'm not very confident about selecting meat yet.

 

Billy, what did you braise it in?

Hi Terry, I put a spice rub on the pork using Cumin, Cajun sea, Granulated garlic, hot Paprika, Chili power, then browned it in oil, took out the Pork and added chopped garlic, oranges, onions, problano peppers, red hot chili peppers, Mexican Oregano, 2 bay leaves and S&P.I then deglaze the pot with red wine, added the pork and filled the pot with chicken stock between 1/2 and 3/4 up the side of the roast....cooked for 3 to 4 hrs............in a 350 oven covered.............Carnitas, is a lot like the pulled pork for BBQ, what you want to do is brown/crisp the pieces either in a pan or under the broiler using the fat from the juices, then chop it into smaller pieces to make Tacos de Carnitas.........................Bill

post #10 of 10

Billy, 

 

That sounds heavenly. 

 

Thanks for sharing what you did.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food & Cooking
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › Carnitas, From Butt to Beyond