or Connect
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › Where can I get a Kaffir Lime plant in NYC?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Where can I get a Kaffir Lime plant in NYC?

post #1 of 17
Thread Starter 

Anybody?

post #2 of 17

Home Plate just posted about Bleeker Street below, may be he knows?

post #3 of 17

Good luck!

 

For a time it was illegal to import them. Some kind of pest or disease issue--the dep't of Agriculture was afraid of whatever it was infecting domestic citrus. They are hard to find and expensive when you do find them. A Vietnamese gift/plant store in my Chicago neighborhood sells them for $60 a pot in the summer months. I've considered snipping a leaf or two from the plants which they keep out on the sidewalk and seeing if I can root them but I'd feel too guilty. It's almost impossible to find the leaves to cook with, even in my very Southeast Asian neighborhood, or I'd try to root some. From what I've read they are very persnickety about being raised indoors. They need warm temperatures, humidity and lots of air circulation to keep them disease-free. It's those requirements that kept me from spending the $60. A winter indoors in a typical Chicago apartment would be the death knell.

 

There are on-line nurseries that will ship the plants to you. Logee's is one:

 

http://www.logees.com/Kaffir-Lime-Citrus-hystrix/productinfo/C2016-4/?gclid=CJ6L6oXun7YCFYxaMgodY30ABw

 

$24.95 seems like a deal to me.

post #4 of 17
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChicagoTerry View Post

Good luck!

 

For a time it was illegal to import them. Some kind of pest or disease issue--the dep't of Agriculture was afraid of whatever it was infecting domestic citrus. They are hard to find and expensive when you do find them. A Vietnamese gift/plant store in my Chicago neighborhood sells them for $60 a pot in the summer months. I've considered snipping a leaf or two from the plants which they keep out on the sidewalk and seeing if I can root them but I'd feel too guilty. It's almost impossible to find the leaves to cook with, even in my very Southeast Asian neighborhood, or I'd try to root some. From what I've read they are very persnickety about being raised indoors. They need warm temperatures, humidity and lots of air circulation to keep them disease-free. It's those requirements that kept me from spending the $60. A winter indoors in a typical Chicago apartment would be the death knell.

 

There are on-line nurseries that will ship the plants to you. Logee's is one:

 

http://www.logees.com/Kaffir-Lime-Citrus-hystrix/productinfo/C2016-4/?gclid=CJ6L6oXun7YCFYxaMgodY30ABw

 

$24.95 seems like a deal to me.

Hey, thanks for the link. I guess my google search didn't last past the first 10 hits.

 

The Thai restaurant around the corner from me had one, but the owner sold the eatery and took the plant with him. I didn't know you could root from just a leaf. I thought it needed seeds. I stumbled on a small Thai market and they had frozen leaves. They work ok but not nearly as pungent as fresh.

 

I read online somewhere that it's possible to grow indoors.  I'd be willing to give it a go for $25. . .

post #5 of 17

You might try the NYC flower district (or what's left of it...my faulty memory dictates it used to be quite a bit more extensive, as little as a decade ago):

http://www.scoutingny.com/?p=4364

post #6 of 17

You might try at one of the plant sellers at the many farmers' markets. I know Shawangunk gardens has them, though I don't know which markets in the city they participate in.

Also try the shops in the flower district (W 26th-29th Sts) Go around and keep asking. Someone can get one for you. They found real vanilla orchids for me. 

www.foodandphoto.com

Liquored up and laquered down,
She's got the biggest hair in town!

Reply

www.foodandphoto.com

Liquored up and laquered down,
She's got the biggest hair in town!

Reply
post #7 of 17

I tried posting earlier, but my response contained a link, and since I'm new it got mod-queued...


Try the "flower district," on West 28th Street (between Sixth and Eighth Avenues). Tons of plant stores up there!

post #8 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Plate View Post

I tried posting earlier, but my response contained a link, and since I'm new it got mod-queued...


Try the "flower district," on West 28th Street (between Sixth and Eighth Avenues). Tons of plant stores up there!

 

I bought my cataract "meds" there the other day when I was in the city.  smiles.gif

post #9 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheSoupNazi View Post

 

I bought my cataract "meds" there the other day when I was in the city.  smiles.gif

You're the silly one in the bunch, aren't you??? smile.gif

post #10 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Plate View Post

You're the silly one in the bunch, aren't you??? smile.gif

 

mullet.gif

post #11 of 17
Thread Starter 

@homeplate

 

Been there dozens of times but it never occurred to me to ask. Didn't seem likely but I'll give it a shot. I've been to china town and flushing to look for them and all I found where chili plants.

 

Should I ask about cataract meds as well?

post #12 of 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jake is a View Post

@homeplate

 

Been there dozens of times but it never occurred to me to ask. Didn't seem likely but I'll give it a shot. I've been to china town and flushing to look for them and all I found where chili plants.

 

Should I ask about cataract meds as well?

I would refrain from asking for the "cataract meds" until I had the lime safely in hand.


But that's just me. 

post #13 of 17

Some things can be rooted from stem or leaf cuttings. Not everything.  I always figure it's worth a try. 

post #14 of 17
My motto is, if you can smoke it, what are ya waiting for?
post #15 of 17

You should be able to get "cataract meds" on the street easy enough. They're really cheap now in states like Colorado though.   Look for the guys in the Rasta outfits.  They're generally known for the best/fairest deals. 

 

 

But hey ... I'm not sayin', I'm just sayin'.

post #16 of 17
Ice Man rocks
post #17 of 17

i live in elmhurst , queens . i just came from neigborhood thai grocery to buy ingredients for tom kha and the shop owner showed me her kaffir plants. she is selling the small pot for $40.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food & Cooking
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › Where can I get a Kaffir Lime plant in NYC?