or Connect
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › Baby octopus and bean soup...
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Baby octopus and bean soup...

post #1 of 20
Thread Starter 

From a few months ago...I can't wait for my local fishmonger to have baby octopus again!



 

 

 

 

 

post #2 of 20

Do you eat the head and everything?

post #3 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gladys Kravitz View Post

Do you eat the head and everything?

YES!!  The "beak" is removed, as is (I believe) the ink sac...  The rest is tenderized in cold water/fresh lemon juice for an hour, and then cut into 2-inch or so pieces. With a small enough octopus, you could cook them whole...


Edited by Home Plate - 3/28/13 at 11:32am
post #4 of 20

That looks delicious. I'm a big fan of seafood soup. A couple years ago my husband ordered grilled baby octopus and it was prepared perfectly. We really enjoyed it.

 

I love your bowls.

“After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relations.”
Oscar Wilde

 

 

Reply
“After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relations.”
Oscar Wilde

 

 

Reply
post #5 of 20

Wow that looks good. I've only eaten octopus as sushi, never had it cooked before.
 

post #6 of 20

my word  you sir are a gourmand..Bravo

post #7 of 20

Home Plate how do you feel about cheese on your seafood? Do you put cheese on your soup? There was some discussion on this recently, just curious.

post #8 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollopicu View Post

That looks delicious. I'm a big fan of seafood soup. A couple years ago my husband ordered grilled baby octopus and it was prepared perfectly. We really enjoyed it.

 

I love your bowls.

Thank you...I like to enjoy all aspects of a fine meal. smile.gif

 

The third "octopus" place setting is my son's... he doesn't like seafood, it was probably waiting for his beloved Chicken Mozambique over spaghetti.

post #9 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tomago View Post

Home Plate how do you feel about cheese on your seafood? Do you put cheese on your soup? There was some discussion on this recently, just curious.

NO! I am of mostly Italian descent, and feel strongly that cheese on MOST seafood dishes quickly overwhelms the dish.

Simple, fresh, high-quality ingredients...and let the flavors speak for themselves.

post #10 of 20

I agree, let the subtlety of the food speak. smile.gif

post #11 of 20

Do you use only San Marzano Tomatoes?  They are definitely worth the price.

post #12 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by dutch oven View Post

Do you use only San Marzano Tomatoes?  They are definitely worth the price.

San Marzano, D.O.P.

 

Yes, definitely worth it.

post #13 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gungaSim View Post

my word  you sir are a gourmand..Bravo

Thank you!!! That's very encouraging!!!

post #14 of 20

I recently discovered them.  What a huge difference.

post #15 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Plate View Post

NO! I am of mostly Italian descent, and feel strongly that cheese on MOST seafood dishes quickly overwhelms the dish.

Simple, fresh, high-quality ingredients...and let the flavors speak for themselves.

well Sir we disagree, cheese and seafood are a match the more cheese the betterthumb.gif

post #16 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by gungaSim View Post

well Sir we disagree, cheese and seafood are a match the more cheese the betterthumb.gif

Being new here, I will beg off arguing with you...  The only part of your statement I can agree with, is that "we disagree." wink.gif

post #17 of 20

This is excellent thanks for sharing. Did you have to tenderize the baby octopus before you cooked it or you just let it simmer in the soup? How long did you cook it and was it super tender?

 

My only comment is you should throw in some music like Gungasim did in the lasagna post. 

Thanks,

Nicko 
ChefTalk.com Founder
All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking
All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking
Bacon (I made)
(26 photos)
Reply
Thanks,

Nicko 
ChefTalk.com Founder
All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking
All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking
Bacon (I made)
(26 photos)
Reply
post #18 of 20
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko View Post

This is excellent thanks for sharing. Did you have to tenderize the baby octopus before you cooked it or you just let it simmer in the soup? How long did you cook it and was it super tender?

 

My only comment is you should throw in some music like Gungasim did in the lasagna post. 

I'm thinking some Louis Prima!

 

The octopus was tenderized for about an hour in a cold water/sea salt/fresh lemon juice mix (I think I wrote "vinegar" earlier, but I was confusing this dish with the rabbit cacciatore I posted first.)..
The beans are soaked overnight, drained, and the water set aside...

 

A couple tablespoons olive oil, heated in a casserole, along with 3 or 4 whole garlic cloves...  When hot, a few anchovy fillets get added, "mashed' with a fork...

Then, the octopus is added, along with the beans and pomodori... Some crushed red pepper and sea salt for flavor... Finally, the set aside bean water. The casserole top is sealed with parchment paper, and then the lid put on (no steam should escape).  The whole thing then gets cooked for one to two hours.

It's quite simple, and delicious - the prep work is minimal, the most difficult thing of all is waiting!!!!


And, yes - it was remarkably tender.


Edited by Home Plate - 3/28/13 at 12:48pm
post #19 of 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by Home Plate View Post

I'm thinking some Louis Prima!

 

The octopus was tenderized for about an hour in a cold water/sea salt/fresh lemon juice mix (I think I wrote "vinegar" earlier, but I was confusing this dish with the rabbit cacciatore I posted first.)..
The beans are soaked overnight, drained, and the water set aside...

 

A couple tablespoons olive oil, heated in a casserole, along with 3 or 4 whole garlic cloves...  When hot, a few anchovy fillets get added, "mashed' with a fork...

Then, the octopus is added, along with the beans and pomodori... Some crushed red pepper and sea salt for flavor... Finally, the set aside bean water. The casserole top is sealed with parchment paper, and then the lid put on (no steam should escape).  The whole thing then gets cooked for one to two hours.

It's quite simple, and delicious - the prep work is minimal, the most difficult thing of all is waiting!!!!

Some Steely Dan would be good too.

post #20 of 20

Steely Dan, now your talking my generation. "Hey 19...."

Thanks,

Nicko 
ChefTalk.com Founder
All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking
All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking
Bacon (I made)
(26 photos)
Reply
Thanks,

Nicko 
ChefTalk.com Founder
All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking
All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking
Bacon (I made)
(26 photos)
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food & Cooking
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › Baby octopus and bean soup...