I was once sauteing a chicken breast during service. Some quick background on this chicken. I had been at the institution for about 3 months. The place had gone through regime and structure overhaul and everything was being upgraded. That morning we had found a case of frozen chicken breasts leftover from the previous regime. They had water added and all that fun stuff but the higher ups told us to use them up. Being new and not wanting to ruffle any feathers, I said okay.
So during service I'm turning to plate when all of a sudden a bunch of water releases from the chicken, slides underneath the oil, causing the oil to pop in just the right way so that a majority of the oil in the pan landed on the hand that was holding the saute pan. First, I plate the chicken. Second, I run over to the nearby sink, throw the saute pan in, and immediately start cursing to myself. By this time, most of the staff had noticed and suddenly everyone was yelling. It was a interesting mish-mash of profanity in English, Spanish, Albanian, and Romanian. The result was first degree burns along my middle, ring, and pinky fingers and my wrist area. There were second degree burns all over my thumb and index finger. Luckily it was right at the end of service so I was able to go take care of my fun new burn. I work up the next day and basically wasn't able to use the hand. I had to work the next month with only my right hand because the left had to be a makeshift splint the whole time. Luckily I'm right handed.