or Connect
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › What's a good way to cook a whole pork loin in the slow cooker?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What's a good way to cook a whole pork loin in the slow cooker?

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 

What's a good way to cook a whole pork loin in the slow cooker?

 

Its about 4 pounds, boneless.

post #2 of 21

Pork loin is very lean... not really recommended for aslow cooker as it will become very dry and stringy.

 

Hot and fast - cooked just below medium would be my recommendation.

 

Brining will help especially if you want to make lean-chops out of it.

----

 


"Plus, this method makes you look like a complete lunatic. If you care about that sort of thing".  - Dave Arnold

 

Reply

----

 


"Plus, this method makes you look like a complete lunatic. If you care about that sort of thing".  - Dave Arnold

 

Reply
post #3 of 21
Thread Starter 

Below medium?  Is that safe for pork?
 

post #4 of 21

As long as it isn't wild pork - the risk of Trichinosis is incredibly small.    Much much smaller than salmonella in eggs that are cooked sunny side up. (which isn't condoned either)

 

fwiw - USDA used to say cook to 160 but in 2011 they changed it to 145... myself and many others would like to see it come down a bit further to 135.

I've never experienced any problems with 135 pork, no complaints either.  

 

Part of the problem is the temperature is only a small factor in safety but it is the only one that the USDA will trust the "average consumer" with.   

----

 


"Plus, this method makes you look like a complete lunatic. If you care about that sort of thing".  - Dave Arnold

 

Reply

----

 


"Plus, this method makes you look like a complete lunatic. If you care about that sort of thing".  - Dave Arnold

 

Reply
post #5 of 21

I agree that low and slow would not be the best route for this cut.  I'd brine it, unless it is already "deep marinated" from the processor.  Then do a garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary, sage wet rub and roast it over indirect heat.

 

I may be confused here.  Does 'slow cooker' refer to a crockpot device or a charcoal smoker type thing?

 

mjb.

Food nourishes my body.  Cooking nourishes my soul.
Reply
Food nourishes my body.  Cooking nourishes my soul.
Reply
post #6 of 21

Oh, a Jamaican style jerk rub also plays well with this cut.

 

mjb.

Food nourishes my body.  Cooking nourishes my soul.
Reply
Food nourishes my body.  Cooking nourishes my soul.
Reply
post #7 of 21

Abe ... I'm curious here.  What's the motivation for cooking a pork loin in a slow-cooker?  This is neither a tough cut of meat or one that takes a long time cooking in the first place.  Is there a special outcome you're looking for here? 

post #8 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelGA View Post

As long as it isn't wild pork - the risk of Trichinosis is incredibly small.    Much much smaller than salmonella in eggs that are cooked sunny side up. (which isn't condoned either)

 

fwiw - USDA used to say cook to 160 but in 2011 they changed it to 145... myself and many others would like to see it come down a bit further to 135.

I've never experienced any problems with 135 pork, no complaints either.  

 

Part of the problem is the temperature is only a small factor in safety but it is the only one that the USDA will trust the "average consumer" with.   


Thanks!  I didn't know t hey revised it.

post #9 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by teamfat View Post

I agree that low and slow would not be the best route for this cut.  I'd brine it, unless it is already "deep marinated" from the processor.  Then do a garlic, salt, pepper, thyme, rosemary, sage wet rub and roast it over indirect heat.

 

I may be confused here.  Does 'slow cooker' refer to a crockpot device or a charcoal smoker type thing?

 

mjb.

 


Crock pot

post #10 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMan View Post

Abe ... I'm curious here.  What's the motivation for cooking a pork loin in a slow-cooker?  This is neither a tough cut of meat or one that takes a long time cooking in the first place.  Is there a special outcome you're looking for here? 


Thought it would come out more tender, but not if it can be ~140 now

post #11 of 21

OK.   I'm not so sure however that I could really appreciate rare pork.  I don't so much see the attraction I guess. 

post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by IceMan View Post

OK.   I'm not so sure however that I could really appreciate rare pork.  I don't so much see the attraction I guess. 

I sure hope that you don't cook your rare steaks and roast beef  to 140!

 

:P

----

 


"Plus, this method makes you look like a complete lunatic. If you care about that sort of thing".  - Dave Arnold

 

Reply

----

 


"Plus, this method makes you look like a complete lunatic. If you care about that sort of thing".  - Dave Arnold

 

Reply
post #13 of 21

I just like my pork on the tasty side of dry and overdone.

 

mjb.

Food nourishes my body.  Cooking nourishes my soul.
Reply
Food nourishes my body.  Cooking nourishes my soul.
Reply
post #14 of 21

LOL SmartyClown.   I know all about proper meat temps.  I'm just sayin' that I prefer pork properly cooked.  I've never seen any attraction to undercooked meat.  I can however, make very good tartar.  I don't like it though.  Go figure.    

post #15 of 21

Iceman, remember that ‘properly cooked’ anything is up to each cook.  You may not prefer pork served rare or undercooked as you say, but others would differ with you.

By mistake last week, I pulled a centercut porkloin roast out of the hot box and served it rare (I guess my thermometer was having a bad day).  It was delicious, blushed pink and juicy and nobody got sick.

post #16 of 21

From a personal standpoint, I am not a fan of pork cooked below medium.  I just don't care of the texture, but I also can't stand overcooked, dry as sawdust pork either-you know, the stuff our parents used to serve us.  I prefer my pork just slightly above medium.  It's still pink and juicy, but the flesh has "set up" a little more and lost most of that gelatinous texture of undercooked pork.  Of course, this only goes for tender cuts of pork.  When I'm doing pork butt and other tough pieces-usually for pulled pork, carnitas, etc. I cook it until its easy to "pull" which is usually around 190°F.

 

So yeah, I agree; doing a pork loin in the slow cooker would not turn out well.  I would suggest a "dry" method such as roasting or indirect grilling.

post #17 of 21

There's an Italian recipe I saw once for loin of pork cooked in mulk, can't remember the name.  Apparently the resulting juices you get from slow cooking look a bit like curds and whey, but it's supposedly delicious.  Can't help with the recipe there, a quick Google should find it.

 

DC

 Don't handicap your children by making their lives easy.
Robert A. Heinlein

 
Reply
 Don't handicap your children by making their lives easy.
Robert A. Heinlein

 
Reply
post #18 of 21

Aha ! try this link, it's just what I was talking about.

 Don't handicap your children by making their lives easy.
Robert A. Heinlein

 
Reply
 Don't handicap your children by making their lives easy.
Robert A. Heinlein

 
Reply
post #19 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC Sunshine View Post

Aha ! try this link, it's just what I was talking about.

http://www.grouprecipes.com/101478/slow-cooker-pork-tenderloin-braised-in-milk.html

 

 

(Edit:  It does help if I put the link in!!!)

 Don't handicap your children by making their lives easy.
Robert A. Heinlein

 
Reply
 Don't handicap your children by making their lives easy.
Robert A. Heinlein

 
Reply
post #20 of 21

I find pork loin to be tasteless.  If I have the displeasure of cooking it I like to stud it with garlic and herbs.  Maybe wrap it in bacon.  Serve it with a flavorful mustard gravy.  Cooked just a little past medium.

"You are what you eat, so don't be fast, cheap, easy, or fake."

Reply

"You are what you eat, so don't be fast, cheap, easy, or fake."

Reply
post #21 of 21

Trichinosis dies at 137. I cook a loin or tenderloin to 140 generally. If it's a whole loin roast, usually 135 and let the carryover/resting take the temp the rest of the way. It's just barely pink and has the fully cooked texture.

 

Crockpot would not be ideal for this as mentioned. Too lean, too tender.

Palace of the Brine -- "I hear the droning in the shrine of the sea monkeys." Saltair
Reply
Palace of the Brine -- "I hear the droning in the shrine of the sea monkeys." Saltair
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food & Cooking
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › What's a good way to cook a whole pork loin in the slow cooker?