or Connect
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › General Discussions › The Late Night Cafe (off-topic) › What you smell like after you get home from work
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

What you smell like after you get home from work

post #1 of 14
Thread Starter 

I don't mean sweat.

 

 

I can't seem to put my finger on it, but no matter what position I have, whether it's catering, or line-cooking, in any place, now or 15 years ago, the smell is always the same. It's like a seasoned smell on my chef jacket, pants and even skin, until I take a shower. Or a stale saltiness that sticks to me. I never smell like any one item I prepped that day. It's a very distinctive food industry/service smell. Is it just me? are my nostrils shot from smelling foods all day that when I get home I just smell the same thing once I get home day after day?

“After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relations.”
Oscar Wilde

 

 

Reply
“After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relations.”
Oscar Wilde

 

 

Reply
post #2 of 14
aah yes the smell...the smell that comes from slow layering throughout the day and night in a kitchen; of cutting fish, and meat and prep and baking and roasting and grilling and sauté. I like the smell actually. It's comforting in some weird way. I can only really smell it outside of my kitchen, as my small kitchen contains all the same smells as I wear. It's when I walk out of the kitchen to talk to customers, or to finally go home that it becomes most apparent, but I still like it...it's like a badge of honor...it's an honest smell, if that makes sense. It is equally oh so heavenly to slowly lather it all off each night.

joey

food is like love...it should be entered into with abandon or not at all        Harriet Van Horne

Reply

food is like love...it should be entered into with abandon or not at all        Harriet Van Horne

Reply
post #3 of 14
Thread Starter 

I can't say I'm too fond of that mishmosh of aroma on myself, it makes me feel too masculine, I would rather smell of one thing, like fresh garlic, cilantro, or better yet, ginger or lemongrass.

 

 

I remember back in the day when i used to fabricate fish, I smelled OF fish and OF fish alone.

“After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relations.”
Oscar Wilde

 

 

Reply
“After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relations.”
Oscar Wilde

 

 

Reply
post #4 of 14
well no I can't say that I'm crazy about smelling like fish or beef blood, but I guess I never thought about food smells being masculine or feminine......just of food....hmmm....it reminds me of the smell of dirt when the rain hits it....all earthy and organic

joey

food is like love...it should be entered into with abandon or not at all        Harriet Van Horne

Reply

food is like love...it should be entered into with abandon or not at all        Harriet Van Horne

Reply
post #5 of 14
Thread Starter 

You see, I get that from smells inside the kitchen, but not the smell on myself when I get inside the car, or after arriving home from work. To me the smell that clings to me isn't appetizing because to me it smells more like a concentrated bouillon, or base of some sort.

 

I love that smell too, the one of rain and dirt, that's how shiitake mushrooms taste to me, like a moist forest. No other mushroom tastes quite like that to me. That's a good thing. :)

 

 

But I can see how "that smell" could be nostalgic and seen as a badge. When I took a few years off from the food business, I remembered that smell all too well when I began working again. It's unmistakable. it's cool to me, just not that cool. lol

“After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relations.”
Oscar Wilde

 

 

Reply
“After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relations.”
Oscar Wilde

 

 

Reply
post #6 of 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Pollopicu View Post

I don't mean sweat.

 

 

I can't seem to put my finger on it, but no matter what position I have, whether it's catering, or line-cooking, in any place, now or 15 years ago, the smell is always the same. It's like a seasoned smell on my chef jacket, pants and even skin, until I take a shower. Or a stale saltiness that sticks to me. I never smell like any one item I prepped that day. It's a very distinctive food industry/service smell. Is it just me? are my nostrils shot from smelling foods all day that when I get home I just smell the same thing once I get home day after day?

Never had any chefs in my family so I'm not sure what the so called " smell " is so sorry I have no suggestions or insight

post #7 of 14

When I was being trained, I was told this smell you get in your clothes and hair comes from the fryers. Our kitchen has a few fryers on all the time, and my chef explained they vapourise fat particles. The rate they do this is too low for you to ever smell them, but your clothes absorb them enough to yield a smell - even though you encounter lots of things that smell stronger, the cooked fat in the air is the only constant, which makes the smell 'the same' wherever you go. Can anyone corroborate whether that's true or not? 

post #8 of 14
Smells aside( and yes I know this smell, its aroma is especially full of garlic and bread from my kitchen), the thing that bugs me is wearing glasses, at the end of the day when you take them off to clean them you see how much stuff is actually landing on your face, that what gives me goosebumps
post #9 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by thompson View Post

When I was being trained, I was told this smell you get in your clothes and hair comes from the fryers. Our kitchen has a few fryers on all the time, and my chef explained they vapourise fat particles. The rate they do this is too low for you to ever smell them, but your clothes absorb them enough to yield a smell - even though you encounter lots of things that smell stronger, the cooked fat in the air is the only constant, which makes the smell 'the same' wherever you go. Can anyone corroborate whether that's true or not? 


No way. I don't use fryers all the time. In fact, months go by that we don't even turn them on. When we do it's to fry just a few appetizers such as tempuras, spring rolls, crab rangoons. The they go off, but like i said months go by, and they don't even get turned on, and I still smell exactly as before. I don't agree with that.

 

I also smelled like that when I worked for a specific catering company in nyc and they didnt have fryers at all.

“After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relations.”
Oscar Wilde

 

 

Reply
“After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relations.”
Oscar Wilde

 

 

Reply
post #10 of 14
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChefEd82 View Post

Smells aside( and yes I know this smell, its aroma is especially full of garlic and bread from my kitchen), the thing that bugs me is wearing glasses, at the end of the day when you take them off to clean them you see how much stuff is actually landing on your face, that what gives me goosebumps


Omg yes! i gave up wearing my glasses at work for the most part. By the time I'm done they look so gross. Reminds me of my grandmas glasses when she started suffering from dementia and would forget to wipe them.

“After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relations.”
Oscar Wilde

 

 

Reply
“After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relations.”
Oscar Wilde

 

 

Reply
post #11 of 14

my glasses look so gross every day but hey at least that stuff isn't going into my eyes haha.  i have smelled like raw pork all week after butchering pigs.  yum.

~MissyD

Reply

~MissyD

Reply
post #12 of 14
Thread Starter 

Well I guess the glasses thing won't be an issue anymore since my dog chewed mine up..

“After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relations.”
Oscar Wilde

 

 

Reply
“After a good dinner one can forgive anybody, even one's own relations.”
Oscar Wilde

 

 

Reply
post #13 of 14

When I got back, my dog would just lick me, my clothes, whatever was in the kitchen!

post #14 of 14
Sweat.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: The Late Night Cafe (off-topic)
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › General Discussions › The Late Night Cafe (off-topic) › What you smell like after you get home from work