Managing a commercial kitchen is a serious business. Whether it is your own business or as an employee. I had experienced both. As owner/chef operator and as a head chef for other bosses, I always had the same problems. Those are:
1. Kitchen staff untidy work habits. No matter how I train them and enforce the food hygiene and safety regulation, my staff had never meet my food hygiene standard.
2. The food suppliers intergrity. When suppliers want your business, they will give you a good quality samples to begin with and then, sending you with an inferior quality later.
3. Staff work ethics. How do you detect them before you employ them? This is always a challenge!
4. Taking food and tools home without permission. Some staff cannot resist to take advantage of removing kitchen properties.
5. Friction with service personnel. This oftentimes cause customers to complain.
These are just some of my main issues in managing my kitchen.
I would like to know if other professional chefs in commercial kitchen had similar experiences and how you are managing them?
What are the issues that concern you most?
And what are the challenges in managing your issues?
I have 38 years experience as a professional chef and I have gone though so much challenges but I still find it challenging to deal with these issues. Therefore, sometimes I just ignore them and hope that the problems just disappear by itself. Not a very good idea when you want to solve them!!! Please tell me your concerns in your world???