or Connect
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › Help finding a job for someone new to the Culinary Arts Field
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Help finding a job for someone new to the Culinary Arts Field

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 

I am currently a line a cook at a small Italian restaurant which does not seem to be a very good fit for me.  This would be my second time trying to work in a restaurant kitchen and I am starting to get very frustrated because I am not picking up on everything I need to know fast enough.  I have a non verbal learning disability and some anxiety issues which can make working in a high pressure environment like a kitchen very difficult for me.  I want to continue pursuing Culinary because cooking is something I love to do but I'm wondering if there is another avenue in the field that would be a better fit for someone like me.  If anyone could offer any advice it would be greatly appreciated.

post #2 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by benj781 View Post
... and I am starting to get very frustrated because I am not picking up on everything I need to know fast enough.... 

 

Sometimes, we're harder on ourselves then we really should be.  Has chef told you that you're not doing well?

post #3 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by kaneohegirlinaz View Post

 

Sometimes, we're harder on ourselves then we really should be.  Has chef told you that you're not doing well?

Yeah he has and it bothers me because I really have been trying hard to make this work and it just doesn't seem to be clicking with me.

post #4 of 5
Quote:
Originally Posted by benj781 View Post

 which does not seem to be a very good fit for me. 

 

Pay attention to your own words, there is much wisdom there. We have all had jobs at one time or another which were not very good fits for us. That happens, a basic fact of life.

 

I wear a size 11 shoe. I can try and use a size 9 or a size 13, but it isn't going to end well. It doesn't mean the shoes (or my feet for that matter) are defective, it just means they are not right for me.

Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Reply
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Reply
post #5 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheflayne View Post

 

Pay attention to your own words, there is much wisdom there. We have all had jobs at one time or another which were not very good fits for us. That happens, a basic fact of life.

 

I wear a size 11 shoe. I can try and use a size 9 or a size 13, but it isn't going to end well. It doesn't mean the shoes (or my feet for that matter) are defective, it just means they are not right for me.

This is a solid point do you have any recommendations on a type of kitchen that would be a good place to start?  Where I work currently and before are both very high volume which I feel might be why I feel so overwhelmed.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food & Cooking
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › Help finding a job for someone new to the Culinary Arts Field