or Connect
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › Serra de Estrella
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Serra de Estrella

post #1 of 3
Thread Starter 
I visited family in Portugal for a month and returned to the states early August. I purchased a wheel of serra de Estrella cheese fresh from the mountain a few days before returning home. I unfortunately stored the cheese improperly and the rind has molded. I removed the cheese cloth and cut the rind off. The inside deep within the center is still soft but it taste extra fermented. I would hate to lose this cheese but I'm unsure if its still safe to eat? I won't be returning to portugal for several years and we have no Portuguese grocery stores in central Florida.
post #2 of 3

The rule of thumb according to Cook's Illustrated is that a  soft cheese that molds should be discarded as the mold will penetrate it all easily and quickly. 

 

 

The hard cheeses, trim off the mold in inch thick slices. I think think an inch is usually overkill unless very moldy on hard cheese. 

Palace of the Brine -- "I hear the droning in the shrine of the sea monkeys." Saltair
Reply
Palace of the Brine -- "I hear the droning in the shrine of the sea monkeys." Saltair
Reply
post #3 of 3

The Mayo Clinic may have been CI's source.  http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/food-and-nutrition/AN01024

 

Quote:

If a piece of cheese has mold growing on it, should I throw the cheese away?

Answer

from Katherine Zeratsky, R.D., L.D.

Soft cheeses, such as cottage cheese, cream cheese and ricotta cheese, that have mold should be discarded. The same goes for any kind of cheese that's shredded, crumbled or sliced.

With these cheeses, the mold can send threads throughout the cheese. In addition, harmful bacteria, such as listeria, brucella, salmonella and E. coli, can grow along with the mold.

Mold generally can't penetrate far into hard and semisoft cheeses, such as cheddar, colby, Parmesan and Swiss. So you can cut away the moldy part and eat the rest of the cheese. Cut off at least 1 inch (2.5 centimeters) around and below the moldy spot. Be sure to keep the knife out of the mold so it doesn't contaminate other parts of the cheese.

Of course, not all molds pose a risk. In fact, some types of mold are used to make cheeses, such as Brie and Camembert. These molds are safe to eat.

If you're not sure what type of cheese you have or what to do if it grows mold, the safe course is to discard it.

Palace of the Brine -- "I hear the droning in the shrine of the sea monkeys." Saltair
Reply
Palace of the Brine -- "I hear the droning in the shrine of the sea monkeys." Saltair
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food & Cooking
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › Serra de Estrella