I recently saw a picture of an ethiopian chicken stew, and it looked unlike any chicken dish I've ever had: the "sauce" was thick and very, very dark, almost black. It looked actually really appealing!
Ever since I've been thinking of how I could make a chicken "stew":
- Cut my chicken in 12 pieces, keep bones in and skin on.
- Get as much color as possible on the chicken without burning it.
- Remove chicken and put a good quantity of diced onions, get as much color on the onions as possible (I'm assuming this is the key to getting a dark sauce).
- Add spices to onions,
- Add chicken stock and maybe some dark red wine,
- Put chicken back and braise.
Anyone know of better techniques or recipes I'd love to hear them! Thanks.