or Connect
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › Question on Roasting a Chicken
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Question on Roasting a Chicken

post #1 of 21
Thread Starter 

I have been trying to roast a spatchcock chicken in the oven, with no success.  So I thought I'd turn to the gurus here for advice.

 

Here's what I did

 

I bought a whole chicken - just under 4 lbs.  I brined it overnight, using a standard brine (water, salt, sugar, spices, etc.)

 

In the morning, I butterflied the chicken.  Patted it dry with paper towels.  Put on a spice paste rub.  Put it back into the fridge for about 6 hrs.

 

I pre-heated the oven to 425 degrees.  Removed the chicken from the fridge and let stand at room temperature for 30 mins.

 

I put the chicken skin side up on a cooling rack.  Placed the cooling rack on a baking tray.  Put the tray into the oven.

 

Roasted for 20 mins.  Turned the tray around 180 degrees.  Roasted for another 15 minutes.

 

Removed the chicken from the oven and checked temperature in the thigh and breast.  Was just under 160 degrees, but the chicken was browned.  So covered with foil and put back into the oven for 10 mins.  Checked the temperature and was just under 165 degrees.  So roasted for another 10 minutes (So total roasting time 55 mins!)  Was right at 165 degrees.

 

When we cut the chicken, there was still blood around the bone!

 

Everything I read tells me that the spatchcock chicken should cook in about 30 to 40 mins for a 3.5 to 4 lb chicken.

 

What am I doing wrong?????

 

Thank you in advance!

post #2 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZFoodie View Post
 

Roasted for 20 mins.  Turned the tray around 180 degrees.  Roasted for another 15 minutes.

 

Removed the chicken from the oven 

Depending on your oven, the preheating etc... 35 minutes sounds a bit too early to remove the chicken from the oven. 

 

Once you've removed the chicken from the oven, putting it back in the oven for 10mn pretty much does nothing: it won't even bring it back to the temperature it was before you removed it from the oven. Consider the temperature drop of the oven when you open it, and the temperature drop of the chicken when you take it out etc... also foil is an insulant, so covering it with foil means it's going to take much longer to heat up - so 10mn with foil... that's not doing much at all. Your total roasting time, in my opinion, is not 55mn, it is still 35mn. And as I said earlier, that's barely enough to roast a spatchcock chicken. 

post #3 of 21
Thread Starter 

Interesting!  Thank you for the detailed analysis.  So any suggestions on how best to roast a spatchcock chicken?  Thx.

post #4 of 21
I suggest leaving it in at the start for another 5 to 7 mins then check the temp, so 40 to 42 mins, as stated above you keep your oven temp consistant. Also do you really need to turn it at 20 mins? That opening of the oven door with definatly set you back in cooking time and oven temp.
post #5 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZFoodie View Post

 

When we cut the chicken, there was still blood around the bone!

 

 

That may not be an issue with your cooking, but with the way mass produced chickens are brought to market.  The process is accelerated, the chickens are not that old when butchered, the bones are not fully hardened.  Thought I had some links to this issue, can't find them at the moment.  More later.

 

mjb.

Food nourishes my body.  Cooking nourishes my soul.
Reply
Food nourishes my body.  Cooking nourishes my soul.
Reply
post #6 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lagom View Post

I suggest leaving it in at the start for another 5 to 7 mins then check the temp, so 40 to 42 mins, as stated above you keep your oven temp consistant. Also do you really need to turn it at 20 mins? That opening of the oven door with definatly set you back in cooking time and oven temp.

  OK, thanks for the suggestion.  I will not do the turnaround half way.

 

However, at 425, at the end of 35 mins of roasting, the skin was scorched in a couple of spots.  Should I do something different - maybe start off high at 450 for 10 mins, and then lower to 375 and continue to roast for another 40 mins or so?  

post #7 of 21

What kind of oven do you have?  I noticed that scorching happens often with fan ovens.  I hate them for that, personally. 

 

I roast a whole uncut chicken (or even turkey) at about 450  for the whole time.  If the top is getting too brown, i just fold a piece of foil and lay it loosely on top - otherwise wrapping it makes it soggy and the crispy skin is the best part. 

 

Our chickens here are much smaller than the giant things in the US; i don't remember the weight, but consider they cook in about an hour at that temp, and since i don't have a thermometer, i test by jiggling the leg (it should jiggle but not fall off) and piercing with a thin knife in places near the joint where the meat is thickest.  I leave the knife in a minute and then test it with my upper lip - it has to be hot.  I also press around the cut and see the color of the juices.  They should be yellow, not pink. 

 

I'd also suggest putting it in at the very bottom of the oven (mine has the gas underneath the oven floor not on top) so there is some contact cooking as well, especially near the thighs where it's thicker, and it is less likely to get burnt on top.     I never brine but put some cold butter rolled in pepper, garlic and maybe some mild herb like marjoram, not to overpower the chicken taste, under the skin of the breast and work it in over the legs as well.  It comes out unbelievably juicy with a nice brown crispy skin. 

"Siduri said, 'Gilgamesh, where are you roaming? You will never find the eternal life that you seek...Savour your food, make each of your days a delight, ... let music and dancing fill your house, love the child who holds you by the hand and give your wife pleasure in your embrace.'"
Reply
"Siduri said, 'Gilgamesh, where are you roaming? You will never find the eternal life that you seek...Savour your food, make each of your days a delight, ... let music and dancing fill your house, love the child who holds you by the hand and give your wife pleasure in your embrace.'"
Reply
post #8 of 21

When I roast a spatchcock chicken I do so in a skillet.  First I sear the inside of it and then I turn it skin-side down and weigh it down with a brick.  Into the oven for 30min and it's done, I can't remember how hot the oven was but I'm guessing 375-400?

 

This is the first one I ever did, latter ones have come out better.  This has a very heavy Moroccan spice rub on it which caused the dark color, the skin is not actually burnt.  I'm sure there are much better examples out there but I thought I'd share. Oh and that's some matlouh I made to serve with it.

 

"You are what you eat, so don't be fast, cheap, easy, or fake."

Reply

"You are what you eat, so don't be fast, cheap, easy, or fake."

Reply
post #9 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by siduri View Post
 

What kind of oven do you have?  I noticed that scorching happens often with fan ovens.  I hate them for that, personally. 

 

I roast a whole uncut chicken (or even turkey) at about 450  for the whole time.  If the top is getting too brown, i just fold a piece of foil and lay it loosely on top - otherwise wrapping it makes it soggy and the crispy skin is the best part. 

 

Our chickens here are much smaller than the giant things in the US; i don't remember the weight, but consider they cook in about an hour at that temp, and since i don't have a thermometer, i test by jiggling the leg (it should jiggle but not fall off) and piercing with a thin knife in places near the joint where the meat is thickest.  I leave the knife in a minute and then test it with my upper lip - it has to be hot.  I also press around the cut and see the color of the juices.  They should be yellow, not pink. 

 

I'd also suggest putting it in at the very bottom of the oven (mine has the gas underneath the oven floor not on top) so there is some contact cooking as well, especially near the thighs where it's thicker, and it is less likely to get burnt on top.     I never brine but put some cold butter rolled in pepper, garlic and maybe some mild herb like marjoram, not to overpower the chicken taste, under the skin of the breast and work it in over the legs as well.  It comes out unbelievably juicy with a nice brown crispy skin. 

Thank you.  My oven does not have a fan.

post #10 of 21
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koukouvagia View Post
 

When I roast a spatchcock chicken I do so in a skillet.  First I sear the inside of it and then I turn it skin-side down and weigh it down with a brick.  Into the oven for 30min and it's done, I can't remember how hot the oven was but I'm guessing 375-400?

 

This is the first one I ever did, latter ones have come out better.  This has a very heavy Moroccan spice rub on it which caused the dark color, the skin is not actually burnt.  I'm sure there are much better examples out there but I thought I'd share. Oh and that's some matlouh I made to serve with it.

 

Thank you.  Interesting that you sear the underside first and then flip it over.  Most of what I've seen/heard/read is the other way around.  I am going to give a hi-low roasting approach one more try, and if that doesn't work, then I will try this approach.  Thx.

post #11 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZFoodie View Post
 

When we cut the chicken, there was still blood around the bone!

 

Here is a link to a good article about blood in chicken

http://www.hi-tm.com/Documents/Bloody-chik.html

interesting, demystifying, and debunking.

Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Reply
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Reply
post #12 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koukouvagia View Post

When I roast a spatchcock chicken I do so in a skillet.  First I sear the inside of it and then I turn it skin-side down and weigh it down with a brick.  Into the oven for 30min and it's done, I can't remember how hot the oven was but I'm guessing 375-400?

This is the first one I ever did, latter ones have come out better.  This has a very heavy Moroccan spice rub on it which caused the dark color, the skin is not actually burnt.  I'm sure there are much better examples out there but I thought I'd share. Oh and that's some matlouh I made to serve with it.







Looks delis!
post #13 of 21
Thread Starter 

Just wanted to close the loop on this topic.  

 

I tried another spatchcocked chicken today.  Did not brine it.  Went with a Thai-style paste rub under and on the skin.  Let it sit in the fridge uncovered for about 3 hrs.  Then removed and allowed to come to room temperature for 1.5 hrs (FDA limit is 2 hrs?).  Pre-heated oven to 450 degrees.  Placed chicken on cookie cooling tray over a baking tray, legs furthest into the oven, and on the rack closest to the bottom.  After 10 mins, dropped the temp to 375 and roasted for another 40 minutes.  Removed from oven and covered loosely with foil before carving.  Perfectly cooked but the skin scorched a bit.  Very very moist.

 

Thank you everyone for your feedback and advice.

post #14 of 21
Glad it worked out for you.
post #15 of 21

It just takes practice that's all.

 

There's something about cooking it skin-side down that works.  I cook chicken skin side up all the time of course, but skin side down makes it rather crispy as well.  There are many ways to skin a cat.

"You are what you eat, so don't be fast, cheap, easy, or fake."

Reply

"You are what you eat, so don't be fast, cheap, easy, or fake."

Reply
post #16 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by Koukouvagia View Post
 

There are many ways to skin a cat.

That, plus all ovens are not created equal.

 

@AZFoodie, glad to hear you got it near-perfect this time. 

post #17 of 21

To prevent blood in the chicken, i dont pre-heat the oven. I put it like 45 to 50 minutes at 185º C.

If you are making a butterfly cut, you should try to cut the chicken in half after you make the butterfly cut. Then you seal each half of the chicken in a pan with oil. but it should be a fast sealing. The sealing should take around 40 seconds for each side of the chicken. Then you bring it to the oven for around 35 minutes at 180º C.

 

Happy cooking

post #18 of 21

An old Pepin trick is to slice the two areas where the wings and thighs join the body.  Cut to the joint and that will fix some of that red and lessens cooking time a tad too.

post #19 of 21
Thread Starter 

Thank you.  For my next attempt, I will probably use seasoned butter kicked up with powdered harissa or berbere spice mix and roast at a constant temp of 375 for 55 mins.

post #20 of 21
Quote:
Originally Posted by AZFoodie View Post
 

Thank you.  For my next attempt, I will probably use seasoned butter kicked up with powdered harissa or berbere spice mix and roast at a constant temp of 375 for 55 mins.

 

I've been meaning to try a dish using berbere someday.  There are some African specialty markets around the valley, may have to check them out.

 

mjb.

Food nourishes my body.  Cooking nourishes my soul.
Reply
Food nourishes my body.  Cooking nourishes my soul.
Reply
post #21 of 21

I've been to the one on Redwood before, but not for a while. I need to check it out again. 

Palace of the Brine -- "I hear the droning in the shrine of the sea monkeys." Saltair
Reply
Palace of the Brine -- "I hear the droning in the shrine of the sea monkeys." Saltair
Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food & Cooking
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › Question on Roasting a Chicken