or Connect
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › Highest Possible Temp for Braising
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Highest Possible Temp for Braising

post #1 of 15
Thread Starter 

Hi Chefs and Foodies,

 

First time on the site, and my first post.  I've been a long time home chef and foodie for years.

 

I do a pretty mean braise.  Excellent beuff, and the best coq au vin you've ever tasted.  But it takes freakin' forever!  

 

I've heard different opinions on how rapidly the braising liquid should be bubbling.  Julia says it should be just barely moving, maybe 3-5 small bubbles a minute.  That translates into the lowest possible setting on my gas burner.  I've seen it done a little higher as well, more like a regular low heat, in which the braise was more rapidly moving, maybe 15-20 small bubbles in a minute.  

 

Generally, my braising times tend to take a lot longer than the recipe claims it will.  So I'm guessing I'm using too low a temp.  For example, Jaques boeuf bourguignon recipe claims 90 minutes of braising time, using flatiron.  Now If I did that recipe I know it would take at least an hour longer than that.  

 

So how high can I go?  Of course, what I really want to know is how high can I go and still get a delicious, tender result? Oven or stovetop, I'm open.  

 

Thanks!

 

Aaron 

post #2 of 15

Don't go any higher. You want a simmer, not a rapid boiling. I braise with barely 3 bubbles. I've never made boeuf bourguignon with only flat iron, I use the whole chuck, but it takes me closer to 2h30, just like you. So it sounds to me like you're doing it right. 

 

On the other hand, coq au vin is quick. Once the chicken goes in the braising liquid it should be 20-30mn, unless you're actually using a "coq" (tough old rooster). 

 

If you want faster, consider using a pressure cooker. I have, but I like the traditional method better, as it's easier to taste, adjust, check the temp, etc.... plus it makes the whole house smell divine. :)

 

We're entering braising season people! I love it!

post #3 of 15

I agree with FF. 

 

The method really is called for a slow cooking process. 

 

The pressure cooker tactic works , but it only takes 1 minute to get screwed. 

Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.

Dr.Seuss

Reply

Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.

Dr.Seuss

Reply
post #4 of 15

First off, welcome to Cheftalk.  Great stuff to be had here.

 

I also have to tack on a lot of extra time to most braises, as Salt Lake is over 4,000 feet in elevation, and a low simmer occurs at a lower temperature.

 

mjb.

Food nourishes my body.  Cooking nourishes my soul.
Reply
Food nourishes my body.  Cooking nourishes my soul.
Reply
post #5 of 15
Thread Starter 

Yeah, 20-30 minute coq is not happening.  More like 90 minutes.  Maybe I'm cooking it too tender? I'm cooking it until the leg and thigh meat is basically falling off the bone (I'm omitting the breasts these days, freezing them for another use).  

 

The pressure cooker technique I think I'll save until I move to Colorado, which will be in a couple of years.  

 

Aaron

post #6 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMonkey33 View Post
 

Yeah, 20-30 minute coq is not happening.  More like 90 minutes.  Maybe I'm cooking it too tender? I'm cooking it until the leg and thigh meat is basically falling off the bone

Yeah that's not coq au vin, that's pulled chicken. :lol: 

 

Ok so cooking time depends on various things, including: 

- the temp of the chicken when you cook it (room temp?)

- the age and size of the chicken (I use smaller 3.5 lbs chickens)

- your taste. 

 

In my experience, and for my taste, for a room temp 3.5 lbs chicken, anything over 30mn is overcooked. 

post #7 of 15
Thread Starter 

Interesting.  So yours doesn't fall off of the bone then.  Can you describe the texture and consistency of what you consider perfectly cooked coq au vin? Legs vs. breasts of course.

 

Thanks.

 

Aaron

post #8 of 15

Oh also , if you use a pressure cooker , and cook for over 30 minutes , the bones will melt XD . 

 

Has happened to me , its not pretty or remotely tasty. 

Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.

Dr.Seuss

Reply

Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.

Dr.Seuss

Reply
post #9 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMonkey33 View Post
 

Interesting.  So yours doesn't fall off of the bone then.  Can you describe the texture and consistency of what you consider perfectly cooked coq au vin?

It's just cooked to temp, but still moist and still clinging to the bone. I wish I could give you a better description. It certainly is not fall of the bone or "fork tender" like chuck after a 2h30 braise. 

post #10 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiqueKuisine View Post
 

Oh also , if you use a pressure cooker , and cook for over 30 minutes , the bones will melt XD . 

 

Has happened to me , its not pretty or remotely tasty. 

I wonder how that works, Kaique, or if it depends on the chicken maybe? I've made chicken stock in my pressure cooker before, and cooked it for 50mn before and the bones didn't melt. They became very fragile and easy to break, but they didn't melt. 

post #11 of 15

I once cooked in a 20 liter pressure cooker the bones were very small so they became rubbery -_-. 

 

I have cooked pigs feet for 2 hours and they almost melted <_< you would pick up a bone and they would start to shatter quickly 

 

I guess they didnt melt , they shattered XD  or crumbled , would be more appropriate XD. 

Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.

Dr.Seuss

Reply

Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.

Dr.Seuss

Reply
post #12 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiqueKuisine View Post
 

I guess they didnt melt , they shattered XD  or crumbled , would be more appropriate XD. 

Ah yes that would be close to my experience as well. They were still whole when I opened the pressure cooker, but trying to manipulate them ended up in them shattering quickly, yes. I guess for stock that's alright, but I certainly wouldn't want that kind of texture on a coq au vin. 

post #13 of 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by FunkMonkey33 View Post

Hi Chefs and Foodies,

First time on the site, and my first post.  I've been a long time home chef and foodie for years.

I do a pretty mean braise.  Excellent beuff, and the best coq au vin you've ever tasted.  But it takes freakin' forever!  

I've heard different opinions on how rapidly the braising liquid should be bubbling.  Julia says it should be just barely moving, maybe 3-5 small bubbles a minute.  That translates into the lowest possible setting on my gas burner.  I've seen it done a little higher as well, more like a regular low heat, in which the braise was more rapidly moving, maybe 15-20 small bubbles in a minute.  

Generally, my braising times tend to take a lot longer than the recipe claims it will.  So I'm guessing I'm using too low a temp.  For example, Jaques boeuf bourguignon recipe claims 90 minutes of braising time, using flatiron.  Now If I did that recipe I know it would take at least an hour longer than that.  

So how high can I go?  Of course, what I really want to know is how high can I go and still get a delicious, tender result? Oven or stovetop, I'm open.  

Thanks!

Aaron 
post #14 of 15
The highest oven temp I would use would be 300f. Are you covering the braise with a lid or parchment lid? Remember you have to have time to let the connective break down. This takes time and no recipe will tell you. This takes time to develop your technique. Hope this helps. Ryan
post #15 of 15

Any temp or style you want, but DON"T BURN as this will give the final product a bad taste. There is a vast difference between searing and burning

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food & Cooking
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › Highest Possible Temp for Braising