Hey everyone, your advice would be appreciated. I am heading down south to Austin in a little over a month and need some food recommendations, including good areas to stay that are close to great restaurants. Beer is also a major bonus. I grew up in Dallas, moved to Utah, but haven't been to Austin since I was a child so I'm killing for some real Texan barbeque and southern food, but am also very open to ethnic. Also, are there pods that have multiple food carts? I will be staying for about one week.
- itemBack of the House: The Secret Life of a Restauranttagged by Nicko, 6/7/15
- itemRestaurant Basics: Why Guests Don't Come Back...and What You Can Do About Ittagged by Nicko, 6/7/15
- itemRestaurant Mantagged by Nicko, 6/7/15
- topicRestaurantstagged by Nicko, 6/7/15
Related Forum Threads
- Fanciest Restaurant You Have Ever Been to...? Last post on 2/24/14 at 1:13am in Food & Cooking
- Vienna Austria Restaurant Recommendations Last post on 2/10/14 at 8:53am in Food & Cooking
- What if.....? What would YOU do... Last post on 1/7/14 at 7:33am in Food & Cooking
- Best Restaurants in greece Last post on 1/6/14 at 9:41am in Food & Cooking
- Suggestions Please For Travel in Charleston North Carolina Last post on 12/9/13 at 7:40am in Food & Cooking
So far im loving this school this is just my first semester so i can't judge to much but coming from my last school henry ford community college schoolcraft community college is so much better the...
The Chefs at The Chef's Academy in Indianapolis, In. Were amazing and knowledgeable. They showed interest with your creativity and looked forward to beating you with their hats when you did some...
I picked up one of these on sale with the intention of storing until Christmas. But that's a ways off, and I needed to verify it worked in case I needed to return it with in the warranty...
I've been looking for recipes and ideas I can ship off with my daughter to college and this book had a good variant idea on the one-pot meal. But the writing is chatty and cutesy. This doesn't...
Gear mentioned in this thread:
I wouldn't bother with the "laundry list" of popular restaurants as most are out of date ads.
Austin is a big college town so you will find lots of casual and cheap places to eat and of course free music everywhere on most nites.
If you get the urge for a classic flat top grilled burger try Huts just off campus (6th St.?) for a cheeseburger...do have the rings (the beer is cold and the selection is pretty good as well).
As for where you can lay your head I have nothing for you.
Austin may be populated by Peter Pans but it is still in Texas (and the capital of my great state as well) so rent a car and be prepared to drive.
Edited by flipflopgirl - 12/27/13 at 7:10pm
Hopefully it's not too late, and you haven't already made your trip. Austin is where my hat currently lays. I'm not in tune with much of the current hot spots as I'm suburban tech junkie who often times just prefers food at home.
All that said, I think it's harder to end up with bad food than to find good food around here. Texans love to eat! Currently the hot BBQ spot is Franklin's off of 11th. I haven't braved the line yet as it's always busy, but I would imagine it holds up to it's reputation. There are a lot of other places just around every corner as well. Honestly, most of them are actually very good. I would journey down South Congress and stop at the first place that looks and smells good. You can do that every night and get a lot of nice variety.
Because Austin is a trendy college town everyone likes the places no one knows about, and as soon as they get a nice customer base it usually becomes "remember how good this place was before it was popular" So don't be afraid to try new places!
Let us know where you end up going and how it was. I like to know if Austin lives up to the hype it currently has. :)
- Austin, TX
Gear mentioned in this thread:
- › Knives help. :) 6 minutes ago
- › I'm the one cooking Thanksgiving dinner for the first time! 1 hour, 10 minutes ago
- › Thanks to everyone... 4 hours, 9 minutes ago
- › My pan got pretty messed up, what to do? 4 hours, 9 minutes ago
- › What did you have for dinner? 5 hours, 6 minutes ago
- › Rolling mozzarella 5 hours, 22 minutes ago
- › When fancy plating fails? 5 hours, 32 minutes ago
- › October 2016 Cooking Challenge: Squash 5 hours, 33 minutes ago
- › What should I pay a venue for kitchen use 8 hours, 59 minutes ago
- › Troubleshooting with Italian Meringue Buttercream 9 hours, 17 minutes ago
- › Kitchen Utensils and Gadgets 17 piece Silicone and Stainless Steel... by rose1
- › Schoolcraft College Culinary Arts Program by chefpeaches
- › Chef Academy by TheCookSaigium
- › Anova WiFi Sous Vide Precision Cooker, Black by phatch
- › Sheet Pan Suppers: 120 Recipes for Simple, Surprising, Hands-Off... by phatch
- › Iwatani Gas Cassette Burner Stove by eastshores
- › Italian Chef Academy - Rome by tessy
- › Wine Bottle Cooler Stick - 3-in-1 Stainless Steel Wine Chiller... by majorc
- › Meat Thermometer - Instant Read LCD Screen Auto Shut-Off with Long... by majorc
- › Le Cordon Bleu USA by freshbaked