or Connect
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Pastries & Baking › White Chocolate mess
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

White Chocolate mess

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 

I was making rice krispie treats yesterday and thought I would melt some chocolate. I used a double broiler and melted the white chocolate. when it melted I added some green food coloring and it turned on me. It became chunky gross mess. I tried to melt it a little longer but it did not change. Can anyone tell me what happened? I am a beginner and just want to know for future reference. Thanks

post #2 of 5

You can't add water. Food color has a water base.

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply
post #3 of 5

You did not say but I am assuming the white chocolate was in chip form (like the Toll House chocolate, only white?)

Likewise the food coloring was a water base and it was located on the cake aisle (with the bday candles?).

Beginners mistake you will not likely repeat....when melting chocolate chips any amt of liquid (even the steam from your double boiler) will cause the chips to seize.

Try this next time......lets say you used a standard 12 ounce bag of Nestle's semi sweet (or the white) chips.

Using a microwave safe bowl melt 1 or 2 tablespoons of solid vegetable shortening...not lard...read the ingredients and if the word meat appears leave it on the shelf.

Crisco is a popular brand.

Add your 12 ounce bag o'chips to the melted shortening and set micro for 1 min...open the door every once in a while and stir everything around.

Remove after the one minute and allow the carryover heat to finish the job (altho some additional micro time may be required).

This mixture is perfectly useable for icing something flat but will most likely drip down the sides of a cake.

May also need a short amt of time in the fridge to firm it up.

 

mimi

 

About the coloring.....with "chips" I would recommend a candy coloring (found in hobby shops, cake supply stores and sometimes the "big box" places,  in the "baking hobby" aisles)

 

m.

post #4 of 5

When melting chocolate, be it white, milk or dark, a double boiler is fine. However, your water should only be at a simmer stage in order to avoid steam coming up and out of the lower pan. Any type of water, including condensation, can cause your chocolate to "seize" and form the mass you mentioned. Since the type of food coloring most home cooks use is a water base, this is why your chocolate did this. The best coloring to use is a gel or a paste form of coloring. It can be found in most hobby/home craft stores, and in cake decorating shops. Also online cake decorating stores. One of the industry favorite brands is Americolor, though there are others available. (I use this). Also, as an aside...if you are wanting to flavor your chocolate, use an oil based flavoring, for best results. Lorann Oils are a popular brand, and have a website online, as well as being available in many shops/stores. (I even have a local spice/herb market that carries them)  Good luck, and don't give up. These items mentioned will work for you whether you use candy coating chocolate or "real" chocolate, the difference being that candy coating has palm oil or some such, whereas "real" chocolate, as I call it to my kids, has cocoa butter.  Best of luck!  :thumb:

post #5 of 5
Thread Starter 
Thank you all very much. I had no idea you could not add water to chocolate or that food coloring (easter egg stuff) had water in it but that makes sense. I could have read the box but as I didnt know about the water being bad for chocolate it wouldnt have ment anything to me any way.
I just looked at extract and I see it has water in it also. Didnt know that. I am leaning already from this website. I llove it! Thanks.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Pastries & Baking
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Pastries & Baking › White Chocolate mess