Meez, i laughed and cried a bit all at the same time.
Imagining that situation, must have been hard.
I think the most awkward or god damn worst situation i have been in was at a restaurant, well more like a bar.
I guess the intention of the bar was to serve mainly drinks, but unfortunetly soon some idiot had the idea to build a kitchen, in a store room i suppose....
I went and worked in a kitchen that was literally 9x5... with a portable burner <_<, 2 small fridges, smaller then the ones i have at home.
2 friers, and one grill which was the biggest thing in the kitchen.
Oh and their was a sink.... because their was no dishwasher we had to wash the dishes as well, even though their was no room to dry these dishes <_<.
Their was one side of the kitchen where their was a small table to do prep, but when your in 3 cooks, a space that small isnt helpful at all.
This little run down bar would produce 100-250+ dishes a night, imagine cleaning these plates as well as finding a spot to put the dirty and clean ones. Well ill tell ya, the dirty plates would stay on the floor until someone decided to clean and dry them.
Everyone bumping into each other, and no room to do anything, hard to breathe, hot as hell, and 3 pissed off cooks, trying to juggle 20 orders all at one time, when we barely had enough room to stretch our arms. I dont mind working hard, but room for mise en place and some space is helpful when doing so many dishes in one night.
I could go on for days, on how bad that place was, to this day i wish i had called a health inspector to shut that joint down <_<, food was not being properly prepared.
One of the nastiest things i remember was the fact the cutting boards were very small, smaller then a sheet of paper. And they were yellow from so dirty and one side was almost black, i assume it was mold. Just gross, seeing the other cook use them...
I had to work that night, juggling working friers and washing dishes, friers would get loaded so fast, and oil would just overflow and spill out. The kitchen smelled like a sewer , because the drain hadnt been cleaned out in years along wth some problems in the pipes... GOD SO GROSS.
Back then it was a stage i was doing, i only stayed 2 days and i think they were shocked i stayed that long. The last 2 places i worked before was heaven compared to this place lol.
Ugh now i got the heeby jeebies just from remembering...