I have 25 Scouts ranging from new Scouts to Eagles who can't cook outdoors! I'm new to this troop and, because my son can cook really well, he's stuck cooking for every trip. Long story short, I talked with the Scoutmaster and convinced him that I could host an "Outdoor Cooking" class. Anyone have any must make dishes?
A Traditional Thanksgiving Dinner
Last edited: 11/9/11
- Foil Cooking TipsLast edited: 2/16/10
- Camp Cooking Camp And FishLast edited: 2/16/10
- Hunting Camp CookingLast edited: 2/16/10
- Camp Cooking Dutch Oven CookingLast edited: 2/16/10
So far im loving this school this is just my first semester so i can't judge to much but coming from my last school henry ford community college schoolcraft community college is so much better the...
The Chefs at The Chef's Academy in Indianapolis, In. Were amazing and knowledgeable. They showed interest with your creativity and looked forward to beating you with their hats when you did some...
I picked up one of these on sale with the intention of storing until Christmas. But that's a ways off, and I needed to verify it worked in case I needed to return it with in the warranty...
I've been looking for recipes and ideas I can ship off with my daughter to college and this book had a good variant idea on the one-pot meal. But the writing is chatty and cutesy. This doesn't...
Teaching Scouts Outdoor Cookingpost #1 of 43/18/14 at 10:10amThread Starter
Gear mentioned in this thread:post #2 of 43/18/14 at 10:15am
Boy Scouts of America has every resource ever needed, lesson plans, teaching guides, workbooks everything.
No need to re-invent the wheel.
----"Plus, this method makes you look like a complete lunatic. If you care about that sort of thing". - Dave Arnold
----"Plus, this method makes you look like a complete lunatic. If you care about that sort of thing". - Dave Arnoldpost #3 of 43/18/14 at 10:56ampost #4 of 43/20/14 at 5:28pmI've been a troop Scoutmaster for over 7 years and was an assistant scoutmaster for many years before that. I have encountered the same thing. In my experience in troops where scouts lack camp cooking knowledge and skills is often a result of adult leaders doing the prep work and cooking for the scouts rather than to explain demonstrate guide and enabling (see scouting training E.D.G.E.) The requirement for first class requires scouts to practice and learn these necessary skill. I always suggest that new scouts take the cooking merit badge.
But to get to your issue, there are many good resources on the web, I like boyscoutcooking.com also boyscouttrail.com they have some great general information. Anything and everything by Cliff Jacobson, cliff-jacobson.com is a must-visit resource. l consider him the authority on all issues camping. He is an Eagle Scout with a perspective and point of view based on many years of experience. He has written several books and has a great DVD out.
I would suggest that prior to a camp out provide some instruction on the issue from someone with experience. Depending on what resources are available in your troop or district, it really helps to have an instructor with knowledge and experience in camp cooking. I also believe in and have learned from experience that the patrol method is key to the boys learning. Having older scouts demonstrate and set an example provides a leadership opportunity for the older boy and I believe younger boys learn a lot from older scouts.
Boys learn by doing and sometimes messing up. I had an instructor at leader training (who had been a scout leader and trainer for over 30) tell us an adult leader should never do something a boy could do, and if you see the boys burning the pancakes let them burn the pancakes. That is how they learn.
Good luck, there is great satisfaction in seeing scouts learn and develop confidence in themselves.
Yours in scouting,
- Teaching Scouts Outdoor Cooking
- Foil Cooking Tips
Currently, there are 457 Active Users (6 Members and 451 Guests)
- › Planning working at Cruise Ship soon 4 minutes ago
- › rehydrate vanilla beans 1 hour, 6 minutes ago
- › what is the shelf life of the cryogenically frozen foam 1 hour, 6 minutes ago
- › Need help managing my baking schedule for a big event 1 hour, 57 minutes ago
- › Fusion Cuisine - A marvelous migration into multicultural menus or... 2 hours, 1 minute ago
- › Halloween decorations? 2 hours, 25 minutes ago
- › Indian-style mint chutney 3 hours, 1 minute ago
- › When fancy plating fails? 3 hours, 4 minutes ago
- › Looking for a Laser 3 hours, 25 minutes ago
- › Suggestions On How to keep food warm for a buffet at home? 5 hours, 48 minutes ago
- › Kitchen Utensils and Gadgets 17 piece Silicone and Stainless Steel... by rose1
- › Schoolcraft College Culinary Arts Program by chefpeaches
- › Chef Academy by TheCookSaigium
- › Anova WiFi Sous Vide Precision Cooker, Black by phatch
- › Sheet Pan Suppers: 120 Recipes for Simple, Surprising, Hands-Off... by phatch
- › Iwatani Gas Cassette Burner Stove by eastshores
- › Italian Chef Academy - Rome by tessy
- › Wine Bottle Cooler Stick - 3-in-1 Stainless Steel Wine Chiller... by majorc
- › Meat Thermometer - Instant Read LCD Screen Auto Shut-Off with Long... by majorc
- › Le Cordon Bleu USA by freshbaked