or Connect
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › Toast for $4 a slice
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Toast for $4 a slice

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

A really fun article to read:  http://theweek.com/article/index/258053/toast-the-next-big-thing

 

Any of you up on this phenomenon? I would rather learn how to make my own awesome toast, but I would try the "haute couture" toast for fun. 

 

Edit: ha ha, I didn't realize "couture" refers to fashion only. :smiles:


Edited by OregonYeti - 3/23/14 at 11:43am
post #2 of 8

I guess this is a backlash to the godawful quality of supermarket sold brand-named breads in the US. I went to California for a 6-month project about 10 years ago. Stumbling out of the airplane after 30 hours of travel due to various delays, I first went into a supermarket and grabbed some sliced bread and some deli meats to make a sandwich before finally getting some sleep. Good Lord. That bread went straight into the bin. I just wanted some toast and ended up with a sickly sweet, molasses laden atrocity. Around here in rural Bavaria, I grew up with small, family run bakeries on every second street....

 

If you are looking into making your own, check out Beranbaum's The Bread Bible and Reinhart's Crust and Crumb. Two essentials for any baking library in my opinion.

post #3 of 8

Interesting.  I see both places are in Northern California. I haven't noticed that "trend" here in So. California. Sounds pricey to me, but I'd try almost anything just once. Every large market I shop at here, has a bakery dept. I usually head for the bagels & baguettes. Not really a huge bread eater, but am in awe of folks that bake their own. Here's a simple recipe that's been around for awhile.  Enjoy.

 

 

 

Next time I go back to San Francisco, I'd like to hit the Boudin Bakery for their Breakfast Scramble

 

Or, Panera in my own back yard.

https://www.panerabread.com/en-us/home.html


Edited by Cerise - 3/23/14 at 9:07am
post #4 of 8
Thread Starter 

GeneMachine, there is so much sucky bread here, yup. I agree. I would love to try your local bread.

 

Cerise, I've seen that no-knead bread video before, but I haven't tried it yet. I will one of these days.

post #5 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeneMachine View Post
 

I guess this is a backlash to the godawful quality of supermarket sold brand-named breads in the US. I went to California for a 6-month project about 10 years ago. Stumbling out of the airplane after 30 hours of travel due to various delays, I first went into a supermarket and grabbed some sliced bread and some deli meats to make a sandwich before finally getting some sleep. Good Lord. That bread went straight into the bin. I just wanted some toast and ended up with a sickly sweet, molasses laden atrocity. Around here in rural Bavaria, I grew up with small, family run bakeries on every second street....

 

If you are looking into making your own, check out Beranbaum's The Bread Bible and Reinhart's Crust and Crumb. Two essentials for any baking library in my opinion.


Hi, Gene.  Sorry you had a bad flight, etc. Maybe you stumbled into McDonalds. Please don't judge a country by reaching for who-knows-what packaged bread.  We have bakeries here as well, and we're not all about condiments.  Please don't jump to conclusions, or as Ishbel said - make sweeping statements.  In the US, we're not all about pizza, hotdogs, burgers & prepackaged food.  Just sayin'.

post #6 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cerise View Post
 


Hi, Gene.  Sorry you had a bad flight, etc. Maybe you stumbled into McDonalds. Please don't judge a country by reaching for who-knows-what packaged bread.  We have bakeries here as well, and we're not all about condiments.  Please don't jump to conclusions, or as Ishbel said - make sweeping statements.  In the US, we're not all about pizza, hotdogs, burgers & prepackaged food.  Just sayin'.

Of course, Cerise - I found better shops later on. I was just telling of my first impression in a half-comatose state :)

 

I have many enjoyable memories when it comes to food regarding my time in San Diego - from greasy, but great Mexican holes in the wall, to great seafood restaurants. I am completely aware that American cuisine is way more than just fast food and I do like it - the whole west coast fusion thing, BBQ, cajun cooking, New England style chowders, and so on and so on. I did not mean any offence there, those six months in San Diego was probably the greatest time in my life.

 

Still, it was bloody hard to get some decent bread there. Measured against what you usually get in German bakeries.

post #7 of 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by OregonYeti View Post
 

GeneMachine, there is so much sucky bread here, yup. I agree. I would love to try your local bread.

 

The traditional stuff here is mostly dark rye sourdough. And there are still lots of rural bakers making it in wood-fired stone ovens. Just put some butter on it, pinch of salt and a charcuterie platter on the side. Glorious.

post #8 of 8

Just an added note, when i travel, I use frommers.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food & Cooking
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › Toast for $4 a slice