or Connect
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › Chocolate Problem.
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Chocolate Problem.

post #1 of 5
Thread Starter 

Came across a problem today. When I make chocolates and drain the molds when lining them. I save the drained chocolate and I usually collect enough to melt and let go cold into a "block" so I can use it for seed chocolate when tempering (think I am explaining this right!). never had a problem with this before, but yesterday I made a batch of chocolates (Using the Guittard "Highland" Milk Couverture for the first time). I put the "scraps" to melt so I could make a block" from it, and it wouldn't melt. It is "grainy" looking and a thick mass. Any idea why this is? (I ended up putting some into hot milk and it made good hot chocolate to drink, no sense in wasting it).

post #2 of 5

Only thing that i can see is it seized, or got wet and clumped together.

post #3 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by CSchley View Post
 

Only thing that i can see is it seized, or got wet and clumped together.


Seized? Sorry not familiar with that term. I was wondering if somehow some water got to it, but I couldn't figure out how as I am always careful to avoid water near chocolate.

post #4 of 5

Siezing is what happens when moisture gets into chocolate--it turns lumpy, grainy, and solidifies.  At this stage it is useless for chocolate work, but you were right to make hot chocolate with it, or to use it for baking.

 

The moisture can come from water, or steam--especially if you use a double boiler to melt your chocolate.  Also working with chocolate on hot, humid days can have the same effect.

...."This whole reality thing is really not what I expected it would be"......
Reply
...."This whole reality thing is really not what I expected it would be"......
Reply
post #5 of 5
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodpump View Post
 

Siezing is what happens when moisture gets into chocolate--it turns lumpy, grainy, and solidifies.  At this stage it is useless for chocolate work, but you were right to make hot chocolate with it, or to use it for baking.

 

The moisture can come from water, or steam--especially if you use a double boiler to melt your chocolate.  Also working with chocolate on hot, humid days can have the same effect.

Thank you @foodpump, it was humid the other day. It did make a good cup of hot chocolate though, and I will use the rest in baking. I have one of those small Wilton chocolate melting pots that I use just to melt the chocolate scraps. I thought, at first, there was a problem with the melting pot, so I tried melting it in the tempering machine, but same result. Obviously it was either the humidity or somehow I got some water in the chocolate. It's amazing how maybe only a smidgeon of moisture does this.

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food & Cooking
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › Chocolate Problem.