The Saga Continues - I wanted to share my experiences and they unfold...
Since just showing up at the Hobart Repair facility in Cincinnati, would cost me about $250 to start with... I decided to see if I can do more here at home.. The mechanic at the facility was VERY helpful and understanding of my situation and gave me some very good advice. Thank you Ken at Hobart!
Working with the tool and die shop was also a very expensive route and would have cost hundreds as.
I DID get the planetary off with a combination of penetrating oil, and heat. I have a industrial heat gun ( electric) that gets up to 1100 degrees and heated the planetary to about 250 degrees. A propane type torch would also have worked but runs the risk of burning off the paint since they are a lot higher BTU. The electric heater did not remove the paint so I know it was a lower temperature, but would have if I left it there longer.
I had drilled out the key in the keyway to try to loosen things up and get more penetrating oil in that area...I was wondering if it may have been the key that fractured and the key was somehow hanging things up. This was not the case and I'm not sure if this helped or not to drill it out.
I knew I'd have to sacrafice the shaft.. that is not a terribly expensive part ( about $100 ) compared with the planetary that is about $500. I took a hand sledge originally kept the castle nut on the end to try and save the threads... I had to use enough force that it did not protect them and the end of that shaft was deformed. But I did get the planetary off the shaft..
The shaft had rusted. A very thin and fine coat of rust. The part above this (either the oil seal and/or the bearing) is also fused on the shaft. Now that I know what is seizing them together, I can adjust my methods of getting them apart.
The problem now is that the heat and pound method will not work. There is nothing to provide resistance on the part I want to push the shaft through. To pound on the shaft now would only push the one remaining gear against the auxiliary attachment gear and possibly damage these and still not provide the resistance needed anyway. I'm going to try to drill a hole the approximate thickness of the sidewall of the lil seal's collar on the shaft try to split that ring. I'll also apply the penatrating oil and heat and hope that gets into the rusty areas and loosens that up.
That is today's goal....
Edited by Risenshine - 5/30/14 at 6:25am