1. Usually have a pretty limited menu to <10 items
2. Most items are pretty dam fancy original (and delicious) sandwiches
3. Always have a House Burger that you can't go wrong wtih
4. Sources as much as they can locally
5. Run a daily special, usually (that sells out quickly)
6. Rest of the sandwiches usually sell out too
7. Run a limited dinner service on weekends
The two examples I've encountered are The Whole Ox in Honolulu, Hawaii (RIP...) and Block 16 in Omaha, NE.
I've been calling them a scratch kitchen / scratch cookery but I don't know the exact term...
Could someone help me out, and point out other similar restaurants in other cities? The two restaurants above are among my favorites, and this "genre" of restaurants is hands down my favorite.