or Connect
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Food & Equipment Reviews › Cooking Knife Reviews › Knife Rolls and Knife Cases
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Knife Rolls and Knife Cases - Page 2

post #31 of 52


How do you clean it.    I empty my tool box take out the foam sheets and run it through the dishwasher.

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply
post #32 of 52

The pride I take in my craft shows through clearly on the plate.

Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Reply
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Reply
post #33 of 52

I thought pride was the name of the pinch grip callus

post #34 of 52

That's a pretty amazing piece of leather. Gotta go with what works for you but I never liked leather much for my working knives. A roll like that is going to draw a lot of unwanted attention. I did use a roll for a few years (cloth) but once I started using a plastic tool box I never looked back.

Nice craftsmanship on the leather either way and I can see why you like it.

If I was going to pimp my kit I think I'd have to roll with one of these;

 

 

http://korin.com/Glestain-Knife-Case

I think the most wonderful thing in the world is another chef. I'm always excited about learning new things about food.
Paul Prudhomme
Reply
I think the most wonderful thing in the world is another chef. I'm always excited about learning new things about food.
Paul Prudhomme
Reply
post #35 of 52

Incredible roll, searching for one right this second!

post #36 of 52

Before leaving CR the idea of getting one got into me. Sadly I couldn't get one. Tough luck.

 

 

DIY Knife roll by me

 

 

On the flip-side leather is cheap. It was a real treat making it. Its not the prettiest one for sure, but next time I'll do better. It's been handy for traveling so far.

 

The Jende one looks amazing though. Something to aim for I guess.

post #37 of 52

The thing with leather is you have to watch out for corrosion on your nice knives.  Also the type of leather and how it is tanned matters.  You want vegetable tanned leather.  Chrome tanned cause a lot of problems with the process.  Acids, salts, etc.  bad stuff for metal.

 

On top of that the already mentioned theft problem.

 

Not for me.

post #38 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckFat View Post

That's a pretty amazing piece of leather. Gotta go with what works for you but I never liked leather much for my working knives. A roll like that is going to draw a lot of unwanted attention. I did use a roll for a few years (cloth) but once I started using a plastic tool box I never looked back.
Nice craftsmanship on the leather either way and I can see why you like it.
If I was going to pimp my kit I think I'd have to roll with one of these;


http://korin.com/Glestain-Knife-Case
I would hate to have my knives clunking together like that... Korin has some really nice hard cases though
post #39 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by SpoiledBroth View Post


I would hate to have my knives clunking together like that... Korin has some really nice hard cases though

Really? Did you not look a that hard case? It is a Open Box that's all your knives will be doing. In the leather cases each knife is secured and then has a protective flap over it. Sorry but that is just a box and nothing to keep them in one place so all they will do is clunk together.

post #40 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chris Bruce View Post

Really? Did you not look a that hard case? It is a Open Box that's all your knives will be doing. In the leather cases each knife is secured and then has a protective flap over it. Sorry but that is just a box and nothing to keep them in one place so all they will do is clunk together.
which is exactly what i said....
post #41 of 52

Your knifes are not going to be clunking around in a box unless you plan on playing Monkey in the middle with it. If your that fastidious use knife guards, cloth or foam roll to wrap them.

No biggie.

I think the most wonderful thing in the world is another chef. I'm always excited about learning new things about food.
Paul Prudhomme
Reply
I think the most wonderful thing in the world is another chef. I'm always excited about learning new things about food.
Paul Prudhomme
Reply
post #42 of 52
Put the box sideways in a backpack and walk a few miles ? They're going to clunk together
post #43 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillionsKnives View Post
 

The thing with leather is you have to watch out for corrosion on your nice knives.  Also the type of leather and how it is tanned matters.  You want vegetable tanned leather.  Chrome tanned cause a lot of problems with the process.  Acids, salts, etc.  bad stuff for metal.

 

On top of that the already mentioned theft problem.

 

Not for me.


Same problem with woodworkers who buy expensive chisels and store them in split leather tool rolls--they rust....

...."This whole reality thing is really not what I expected it would be"......
Reply
...."This whole reality thing is really not what I expected it would be"......
Reply
post #44 of 52

DP


Edited by DuckFat - 2/2/15 at 5:51am
I think the most wonderful thing in the world is another chef. I'm always excited about learning new things about food.
Paul Prudhomme
Reply
I think the most wonderful thing in the world is another chef. I'm always excited about learning new things about food.
Paul Prudhomme
Reply
post #45 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodpump View Post
 


Same problem with woodworkers who buy expensive chisels and store them in split leather tool rolls--they rust....

 

...and Ice Chisels..and

I think the most wonderful thing in the world is another chef. I'm always excited about learning new things about food.
Paul Prudhomme
Reply
I think the most wonderful thing in the world is another chef. I'm always excited about learning new things about food.
Paul Prudhomme
Reply
post #46 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by DuckFat View Post
 

Your knifes are not going to be clunking around in a box unless you plan on playing Monkey in the middle with it. If your that fastidious use knife guards, cloth or foam roll to wrap them.

No biggie.

So why buy a box if you are still going to have to roll them to protect them? That;s why we have knife rolls! I also use knife guards in my roll it should be number one thing to protect your edge.

post #47 of 52

About rust and leather, all my blades are High Carbon most are virgin steel, I do a lot of work in Asia with a humidity rate that will kill you. All of my blades are perfect. I work and use my blades as well as keep them oiled when not in use, therefor no problem at all safe and sound tight and not bouncing round in a box but in a leather roll.

post #48 of 52

Oh high carbon will rust--quite easily, and I don't know what "virgin steel" is, but then again, who knows what that steel is doing when no one's looking?

 

Taiwan's kinda unique in that it straddles the equator.  I worked for 5 years in S'pore, high heat (30-35 daily) high humidity (+- 90%rh on a dialy basis) and knives will rust even in a air conditioned climate.  I'm partial to Victorinox which is quite robust and fairly rust free.  Wiped down one knife and unwittingly left a tomato seed near the heel of the blade.  A week later I take out the knife, and I have a rust pit where the tomato seed was. It happens on s/s meat slicer blades too.

 

Meh, time will tell. Maybe in a year from now you'll finally figure out that the leather roll will smell skanky--like a boy's highschool locker room, you'll find crud in the pockets, which is virtually impossible to remove, and you'll start to wonder how do you sanitize the thing.  Most of the "regs" on this site who've been working in kitchens for over 20 years have already commented on it.

...."This whole reality thing is really not what I expected it would be"......
Reply
...."This whole reality thing is really not what I expected it would be"......
Reply
post #49 of 52
Quote:
Originally Posted by foodpump View Post
 

Oh high carbon will rust--quite easily, and I don't know what "virgin steel" is, but then again, who knows what that steel is doing when no one's looking?

 

 

Haaaa! So many days without a big, spontaneous laugh! Thanks for that.

Gebe Gott uns allen, uns Trinkern, einen so leichten und so schönen Tod! Joseph Roth.
Reply
Gebe Gott uns allen, uns Trinkern, einen so leichten und so schönen Tod! Joseph Roth.
Reply
post #50 of 52

LOL Agree no one really knows what it is doing. Well this year I will be celebrating my number 20 in the kitchen and have had nothing but leather rolls and to this date 0 problems.

Now again this could just be because I take care of them very well and it might not be for everyone, but for me nothing is better.  Thanks for the Smile on that comment foodpump :)

post #51 of 52


I have carbon steel and they always rust and they are not cheap either, but they are old.

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply

Chef EdB
Over 50 years in food service business 35 as Ex Chef. Specializing in Volume upscale Catering both on and off premise .(former Exec. Chef in the largest on premise caterer in US  with 17 Million Dollars per year annual volume). 
      Well versed in all facets of Continental Cuisine...

Reply
post #52 of 52

Had the absolute pleasure to review the "Rocco" knife roll from Savage Supply Co. I think the review fits nicely into this thread:

 

Invention, my dear friends, is ninety-three percent perspiration, six percent electricity, four percent evaporation, and two percent butterscotch ripple

My Author Page

Reply

Invention, my dear friends, is ninety-three percent perspiration, six percent electricity, four percent evaporation, and two percent butterscotch ripple

My Author Page

Reply
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cooking Knife Reviews
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Food & Equipment Reviews › Cooking Knife Reviews › Knife Rolls and Knife Cases