or Connect
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › Mold on Fresh Figs... Advice?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Mold on Fresh Figs... Advice?

post #1 of 6
Thread Starter 
We bought some nice, but underripe fresh figs at the local supermarket. We washed them, vacpacked several per package, and stored in the fridge for about four days to ripen up a little. Lots of mold spots when we opened one package up, and we tossed the whole batch.

We need some advice! Wash with some Chlorox? Blanch first? Don't vac? Eat the mold?

How should we handle this? Kind of hate to miss the ripe-fig season, and the store ones are not usually quite ready to eat.

Thanks, as always

Mike
travelling gourmand
Reply
travelling gourmand
Reply
post #2 of 6

@MikeLM  My grandparents had a fig tree when they lived in Roseland and from what I remember, they would hold fresh figs at room temp. They first just wiped them with a towel and loosely held them on the table in a bowl. They were rinsed just before we ate them and never held in the fridge or in a plastic bag. Mostly because Glad hadn't caught on yet. Yes, that long ago. Typically it was a paper bag.

 

I have to head back to my daughters swim finals now and will reply more later.

post #3 of 6

I would not wash in bleach I would just cut off the mold and eat the rest.

Thanks,

Nicko 
ChefTalk.com Founder
All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking
All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking
Bacon (I made)
(26 photos)
Reply
Thanks,

Nicko 
ChefTalk.com Founder
All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking
All About Braising: The Art of Uncomplicated Cooking
Bacon (I made)
(26 photos)
Reply
post #4 of 6

From Google:

 

"Sugar, which is a natural part of the fig will sometimes migrate to the surface of the fig, causing these crystals. This sugaring is often confused with mold. This is not mold, but simply a naturally occurring ingredient. Because of the extra sweetness caused by the sugaring, many consumers actually prefer a sugared fig."

 

dcarch

post #5 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nicko View Post
 

I would not wash in bleach I would just cut off the mold and eat the rest.

ditto

post #6 of 6
Quote:
Originally Posted by dcarch View Post
 

From Google:

 

"Sugar, which is a natural part of the fig will sometimes migrate to the surface of the fig, causing these crystals. This sugaring is often confused with mold. This is not mold, but simply a naturally occurring ingredient. Because of the extra sweetness caused by the sugaring, many consumers actually prefer a sugared fig."

 

dcarch

True dat!!!

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food & Cooking
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › Mold on Fresh Figs... Advice?