or Connect
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › Tips on landing first cooking job?
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Tips on landing first cooking job?

post #1 of 8
Thread Starter 

ANY advice would be appreciated

basically right now i am just a home cook that takes it extremely serious and i want to begin a career in this industry

i want to really learn from a legit chef and i dont want to work at some franchise steak house that has frozen sauces/meats/etc.. shipped in boxes to them daily
 

ideally i would like to work for a small local place that stays pretty busy so that i can get used to working at a fast pace with high pressure, all while learning.

any advice some of you could lend?

like what do head chefs look for when hiring new cooks and am i aiming too high for a first job??

should i start out at like a franchise type of steak house to get the feel for things? i really dont want to be the guy who makes salads at outback steak house and works with a bunch of felons who cant find any other work
 

should i be more humble and just take what i can get to build my resume or is it possible to land a job at a half decent place with no real experience?

for the record, i have studied cooking a ton lately and have really learned fast and have cooked some really nice meals for ppl that have turned out great.

i cant stress it enough that i really want to pursue a career in cooking and im not just looking for a job to pay the bills.

advice??


 

post #2 of 8

There are many factors. 

I landed my first cooking job basically by applying for a position as a waiter and expiditor. 

During the interview i really demonstrated my want and desire to be in the kitchen and just immerse myself in the industry. 

Well 1 week later i was working 4 hours in the kitchen per day for free doing prep, and learning while during service i worked as a waiter. 

2 months later i was a full time line cook working saute. 

 

If you have some love and have a good work ethic im sure you will get there. 

Note: I already had cooking experience and had done a few courses and disciplines in culinary arts. 

Problem was that i didnt have experience in the restaurant enviroment. 

 

So i seeked out that experience by working my way up... 

Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.

Dr.Seuss

Reply

Today you are You, that is truer than true. There is no one alive who is Youer than You.

Dr.Seuss

Reply
post #3 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by KaiqueKuisine View Post
 

There are many factors. 

I landed my first cooking job basically by applying for a position as a waiter and expiditor. 

During the interview i really demonstrated my want and desire to be in the kitchen and just immerse myself in the industry. 

Well 1 week later i was working 4 hours in the kitchen per day for free doing prep, and learning while during service i worked as a waiter. 

2 months later i was a full time line cook working saute. 

 

If you have some love and have a good work ethic im sure you will get there. 

Note: I already had cooking experience and had done a few courses and disciplines in culinary arts. 

Problem was that i didnt have experience in the restaurant enviroment. 

 

So i seeked out that experience by working my way up... 

thank you very much for the reply

post #4 of 8

The number one thing I look for is attitude. The second thing is attitude.

 

I would say look for a small local chef driven independent restaurant. When interviewing, stress this

Quote:
 takes it extremely serious and i want to begin a career in this industry...i want to really learn from a legit chef...ideally i would like to work for a small local place that stays pretty busy so that i can get used to working at a fast pace with high pressure, all while learning...i cant stress it enough that i really want to pursue a career in cooking

 

Stay away from bringing this up

Quote:
 for the record, i have studied cooking a ton lately and have really learned fast and have cooked some really nice meals for ppl that have turned out great

 

For the record, this is good

Quote:
 im not just looking for a job to pay the bills

because the pay scale is notoriously low.

 

Good luck in your search, with persistence and determination, you can make it happen.

Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Reply
Wisdom comes with age, but sometimes age comes alone.
Reply
post #5 of 8

No matter where you choose to work, you're going to learn something.

An interview is just that.

As you explain yourself to the manager, he or she will decide where your present talents will fit in the kitchen.

You will probably start at a low position and through your motivation and work ethic will prove you can be brought up through the ranks.

 

If I was interviewing you I would tell you that cooking at home for friends is NOT the same as cooking in a high volume busy kitchen.

I would test your abilities on the line and allow you to stage, then see what happens.

To me........the proof is in the pudding.

 

Best of luck.

post #6 of 8
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by cheflayne View Post
 

The number one thing I look for is attitude. The second thing is attitude.

 

I would say look for a small local chef driven independent restaurant. When interviewing, stress this

 

Stay away from bringing this up

 

For the record, this is good

because the pay scale is notoriously low.

 

Good luck in your search, with persistence and determination, you can make it happen.

Thanks for the reply man

A small local place with a real chef is exactly what im looking for

 

post #7 of 8
Thread Starter 
and lol @cheflayne i wont bring that up

 i have learned a lot though...i used to boil steak then put bbq sauce on it and bake because i had no idea how to cook a piece of meat lol! 

 

post #8 of 8
Thread Starter 

@Chefross thanks for the reply also

and yea i am sure a real kitchen doesnt compare to home cooking at all! i have enough trouble trying to manage 1 piece of meat and 1 side just for myself...i cant imagine having 5 orders that need to be cooked ASAP

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Food & Cooking
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Cooking Discussions › Food & Cooking › Tips on landing first cooking job?