Description: As Thanksgiving grows closer, I am looking back at last year's approach to turkey roasting. It came out great and looked even better
Serving Size: 12 (depending on the size of the bird)
Time: 2 hours
- Turkey (12 to 15 lbs)
- Your favorite brine - if you brine
- Vegatable Oil
- Poultry shears
- Herbs of choice - Thyme, Sage, Rosemary, etc
- To spatchcock a turkey, take your turkey when it is ready to be cooked, turn it breast-side down and cut out the backbone.
- Start at the "butt" end and, using your poultry shears, cut up both sides of the backbone till you reach the neck.
- Remove the backbone
- Turn the turkey over, breast-side up, and flatten the whole bird with pressure from your hands. You may hear the breast bone snap, that's OK
- Season the turkey on both sides. This will now be easy as the bird is flat and not round
- Lay the turkey in a roasting pan
- Rub all over with oil and roast at 450F for about 1 1/2 hours or until the temperature at the thigh is 175F