or Connect
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Food & Equipment Reviews › Cooking Knife Reviews › Trying to decide between the Konosuke HD2, Mizuno Tanrenjo Akitada Blue #2 and the Masamoto KS Wa Gyuto's
New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:

Trying to decide between the Konosuke HD2, Mizuno Tanrenjo Akitada Blue #2 and the Masamoto KS Wa Gyuto's - Page 2

post #31 of 40
Thread Starter 

Well after much thought, I got the Konosuke HD2 240mm Gyuto and this knife slices like nothing I've ever used before.  I also ordered the Fujiwara Nashiji 240mm Gyuto to see if that style suits me better or to see if I want to use both for different product.  Thanks for all of the helpful information.

 

Jack

post #32 of 40

Cool!  Konosuke makes some awesome knives.

"Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle
Reply
"Excellence is an art won by training and habituation. We do not act rightly because we have virtue or excellence, but we rather have those because we have acted rightly. We are what we repeatedly do. Excellence, then, is not an act but a habit." - Aristotle
Reply
post #33 of 40
Thread Starter 

Yes the Konosuke HD2 is a very fine knife and I just also purchased a Teruyasu Fujiwara Nashiji 240mm Gyuto to add to my kitchen.  The Fujiwara is a lot heavier but the edge is increadably sharp.  Time will tell which of these two knives I find to be my favorite.

 

Jack 

post #34 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko9 View Post


Rick,

I noticed on an earlier post that jacobrb02 had micro chipping with the edge on this knife (the Akifusa).  It looks like he got it re-sharpened and was going to switch out from using a bamboo cutting board but, I haven't seen any recent comments to see if the micro chipping was just from the initial edge, his technique or the cutting board. 

Have you seen any other feedback with the SRES15 steel?

Jack


Sorry guys, totally dropped off the map and just saw this reference to my earlier post. Might be too late for this conversation, but I wanted to update on the Akifusa. It has been perfect since I had the microchips sharpened out. It could be that the factory edge was a bit brittle, or that I have really concentrated on technique since then - especially avoiding any twisting or torque. The new edge is scary sharp and has retained it's edge very well, with just a brief touch up on the stones.

It is a fantastic knife - my only regret is getting the santoku instead of the gyuto. It was a first j knife for me and I was being cautious, but it's been a pretty quick learning curve and I'll be in the market for a 240mm gyuto soon (so it begins . . .).

Hope that was informative on the Akifusa.
post #35 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko9 View Post

Yes the Konosuke HD2 is a very fine knife and I just also purchased a Teruyasu Fujiwara Nashiji 240mm Gyuto to add to my kitchen.  The Fujiwara is a lot heavier but the edge is increadably sharp.  Time will tell which of these two knives I find to be my favorite.

Jack 

Jack, any updates on the kono hd2 versus the fujiwara? Very different knives so maybe hard to compare. Just curious . . . They're both on my list. That and the gesshin ginga, which is obviously much more like the kono.
post #36 of 40
Thread Starter 

After several weeks of using both knives, my favorite has become the Teruyasu Fujiwara Nashiji 240mm Gyuto. I just love the feel of the Fuji as it falls through ingredients.  I think the additional weight of the Fuji just gives me a feeling of more control of the knife, (keep in mind that I'm not a professional cook).

 

I may decide to sell the Konosuke HD2 but I'll give them both a few more months.  If I decide to buy a 270mm slicer it will be a Fuji.

 

​I was a little heavy handed with the Fuji on a hard maple end grain cutting board and put a few micro chips in the edge.  I live close to a really good sharpener (Ken Shwartz) and I had him touch it up for me on a 3K Nubatama Ume stone and strop with 0.75 micron CBN emulsion and it's back to the same razor sharp edge.  I purchased that stone and the 1K version of it since I sharpen a lot of wood chisels and will be practicing on a few of my other knives.

 

I'll get some pictures of both knives and add them on here.

 

Jack

post #37 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobrb02 View Post


Jack, any updates on the kono hd2 versus the fujiwara? Very different knives so maybe hard to compare. Just curious . . . They're both on my list. That and the gesshin ginga, which is obviously much more like the kono.


Jacob,

 

If you decide you like the Fujiwara you can purchase it online at;

 

http://www.teruyasu.net/products/gyuto.html

 

I bought mine here with the upgraded ebony handle at a pretty reasonable price, check it out.

 

Jack

post #38 of 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacko9 View Post


Jacob,

If you decide you like the Fujiwara you can purchase it online at;

http://www.teruyasu.net/products/gyuto.html

I bought mine here with the upgraded ebony handle at a pretty reasonable price, check it out.

Jack

Crazy deal! That's like a solid $100 off purchasing from a US retailer. Benefit of going directly to the maker I guess.

How has the W1 core been on the nashij? In terms of reactivity, forming a patina, etc?
post #39 of 40
I swear I posted a reply but it's not showing up. anyway, that's a great deal going right to the maker - about $100 cheaper than going through a US retailer. On the maboroshi line, it looks to be several hundred cheaper.

How have you found the W1 core on the nashiji, in terms of reactivity etc? Also, as for the micro chipping, probably not a surprise - I think the W1 on that knife is hardened to something like 65-66 HrC, which seems very hard for W1.
post #40 of 40
Thread Starter 
Quote:
Originally Posted by jacobrb02 View Post

I swear I posted a reply but it's not showing up. anyway, that's a great deal going right to the maker - about $100 cheaper than going through a US retailer. On the maboroshi line, it looks to be several hundred cheaper.

How have you found the W1 core on the nashiji, in terms of reactivity etc? Also, as for the micro chipping, probably not a surprise - I think the W1 on that knife is hardened to something like 65-66 HrC, which seems very hard for W1.


I love the white #1 and I haven't seen any issues with reactivity at all.  The knife maker sends you a nicely wrapped package including handling instructions and a very nice micro fiber towel.  The while steel has a very slight darkening actually just enough to see the cladding interface.  The grind on the knife is very nice and product like onions and root veggies just fall off the blade.

 

It is hardened in the RcH 65 - 66 range and push cutting, slicing and chopping is extremely easy.  The Konosuke HD2 is a very sharp knife and cuts very well but, it doesn't have the feel of the Fuji.  When I purchased the Fuji it was just before Christmas and ordering the ebony handle caused a weeks delay because of the scarcity of good ebony (which as a furniture maker I can understand).  After letting me know that he had the material for the handle the knife arrived in a few days.  Actually the deal is much better since the USA dealers don't supply a ebony handle which adds $50 from the maker but, a whole lot more with local suppliers.

 

I'm thinking about getting a slicer from Fuji and perhaps a very small Gyuto for my wife.  Good luck and let me know what you decide.

 

Jack

New Posts  All Forums:Forum Nav:
  Return Home
  Back to Forum: Cooking Knife Reviews
ChefTalk.com › ChefTalk Cooking Forums › Food & Equipment Reviews › Cooking Knife Reviews › Trying to decide between the Konosuke HD2, Mizuno Tanrenjo Akitada Blue #2 and the Masamoto KS Wa Gyuto's