Vada Pav (Marathi: वड़ा पाव), sometimes spelled wada pav or vada paav is very famous in India especially in Maharashtra. Vada Pav used to be a poor man’s food, but these days everyone spotted eating it at Mumbai numerous roadside food stalls! Sometimes its also known as “Indian Burger“.
- 1 1/2 cups boiled and mashed potatoes
- 2 green chillies, chopped
- 1 1/2 tbsp grated garlic
- 1 tsp mustard seeds ( rai / sarson)
- 1/4 tsp asafoetida (hing)
- 6 to 8 curry leaves (kadi patta)
- 1/2 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- 1 tbsp oil
Its outer covering
- 3/4 cup besan (Bengal gram flour)
- 1/4 tsp turmeric powder (haldi)
- a pinch of baking soda
- 1 tsp oil
- salt to taste
- oil for deep-frying
Pavs (small squares of white bread)
Method of Preparation: vada fillling
- Pound the green chillies, ginger and garlic using a mortar and pestle.
- Heat the oil and add the mustard seeds. When they crackle, add the asafoetida and curry leaves and sauté for a few seconds.
- Add the pounded mixture and sauté again for a few seconds.
- Add the potatoes, turmeric powder and salt and mix well.
- Remove from the fire and cool.
- Divide into 8 equal portions. Shape into rounds.
Method of Preparation: outer covering
- Combine all the ingredients in a bowl and make a batter using approximately 1/3 cup of water.
- Dip each round of the vada filling into the batter and allow it to coat the mixture well.
- Deep fry in hot oil, till golden brown. Drain on absorbent paper and keep aside.
Ingredients of Dry Garlic Chutney
- Oil – 1 teaspoon
- Garlic cloves – ⅓ cup
- Desiccated coconut – ¼ cup
- Red chili powder – 2 tablespoons
- Salt – to taste
Method of Preparation: Dry Garlic Chutney
- Heat the oil in pan on medium heat.
- Once hot add garlic cloves and sauté them till lightly brown.
- Then add desiccated coconut and sauté them till coconut become lightly golden.
- Let it cool little bit.
- Add garlic and coconut mixture in food processor. Add red chili powder and salt.
- Pulse it till mixture is grinded and become crumbly. (if you are using mixer then do not use any water.)
Process to serve
- Slice each pav into half and spread some dry garlic chutney inside.
- Place one vada in each pav and serve immediately.